3 hole crank pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 hole crank pins

I see so many prices for 45 rod sets. Some have three hole pins some one hole. What were factory pins? What is better? What about Japan and India? Any thing else you guys can offer will help. thanks

I have used both 1 hole and 3 hole crank pins and cannot say I noticed a difference. The factory I think used both styles. The one thing I can say is stay away from crank pins that direct the oil into the bearings at an angle. The hole(s) should direct the oil into the bearing at 90 degrees. Angled oil feed holes have a tendency to push the bearing assembly against the thrust washer in the left flywheel potentially causing pre-mature failure.

I know nothing about repop rods. I would recommend OEM rods rebuilt.

Jerry

Originally posted by jug View Post
    I see so many prices for 45 rod sets. Some have three hole pins some one hole. What were factory pins? What is better? What about Japan and India? Any thing else you guys can offer will help. thanks

Comment

Harley 45 crank pins came with one hole. If you go with aftermarket rods, the only decent ones that I have found are the old Japanese rods from Dixie- Superior. I'm not sure they made 45 rods back then because there so many NOS Harley rods available . Most Taiwan rods that I have dealt with are ok, but the tapers are off on the crank pin. THIS will drive you nuts trying to true the flywheels.
      Craig

Comment

Jug,
        I have also used 1 and 3 hole crank pins and agree with Jerry's assessment, I have noticed no benefits between them. I prefer 3 hole, only because it seems like a better idea.
        I have used OEM crank pins, with good results for standard motors. When building race motors, I prefer to use Jim's shafts. I also like to use S&S rods in most motors. When you get up in the horsepower, Carrillo rods are the choice.
        If you have the original rods in good condition, they can be reconditioned. If not, buy good quality rods, not by price. The crankshaft is the "heart" of your motor, so make it good.

If you are rebuilding your crank, you should be doing the cases at the same time. The case races wear out of round on most Harleys, and need to be line lapped back to size and alignment.

Comment

Be careful with NOS 45 pins, there are 3 of them which only differ in the "clocking" location of the pinion oil feed..
          #1 the 1932-36 R (no oil return) pin, which only aligns with same era right flywheels.
          #2 the 1937-* W pin, which only aligns with same era (common) right flywheels.
          #3 the "transition" pin, frequently military, which has both feed holes drilled, allows use of late wheel in the R engine and vice-versa. May be used in any right wheel, the others must be restricted to their vintage or... BOOM.
          Expect to see 150-32 on all 1932-54 right wheels.
          Last edited by kitabel; 12-15-2018, 07:54 PM.
          The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
          X