Early VL front chain guard question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early VL front chain guard question

As many of you know the 34 - 36 VL front chain guard had the oil trap and small "spout" incorporated.
    I have an original 30 VL front chain guard with a slot in the same location approx 1/8" x 7/8"
    My question, did the 30 front chain guard have this slot (acting as a drain on the jiffy stand) or was this perhaps a modification?

Thank-you
    www.aclmotorcyclecollection.com

Dear Bob, I don't know about the slot, but think the 1930 VL primary chainguard is one-year-only. Instead of being pressed out in one piece, the front dome is separately fabricated, presumably to clear the deeper cushion sprocket used briefly. Can you confirm?

Comment

Hi Steve, yes I can confirm this is the 30 (perhaps 31?) early primary chain guard as per the separate and larger front dome, spot welded approx every 1/2" round the perimeter. The slot drain is in the exact location of the later version oil trap and spout drain and is well executed or what I think is factory done.
      There is really no upturn to the slot edge (pressed such that it would have a small dam at its edge)

Comment

My primary cover for my early 31 is the same. Spot welded on front dome and the slot as described above.

Comment

Thanks Peter and Steve for replies.

Comment

Working...
          X