32V, Still grinding into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32V, Still grinding into gear

Hello.gents I need alitte help with my 3 speed transmission in my 32V it still grinds going into second gear and back down to first I have the rider hand book and adjusted the clutch accordingly as the rods also . Rebuilt transmission , new clutch pedal and rods the basket was looked at and said it's ok . Not sure what to do now I can't ride it like this . Any help would be great thanks it seems like not enough clutch lever throw but what do I know

It's a crash Harley gearbox 1915-36, so a fresh box will be notchy, with second to first the hardest. Turn in the clutch pull rod adjustment one more turn, and see if this improves the situation or makes the clutch slip. The battery box comes very close to the clutch operating lever, so make sure this lever is getting full throw. If the clutch is still dragging, it could be too thick a thrust washer 2500-19 which is binding against the clutch drum, or rough splines in the clutch drum, or uneven clutch springs, or burred dogs on the steel clutch plates, or incorrect clutch assembly as there are two ways to do it. There are also various new slider gears around, and the original ones have noticeably rounded teeth to make for smoother shifting. If the new gear has sharp teeth this could also be a problem. Please let us know what fixes it.

Comment

Ok thanks I have some work to do now. I'll get back to you

Comment

Working...
      X