Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 VLD Fork spring compression tool

Hi,

I'm getting ready to take my front forks apart for the first time and wanted to know if anyone can suggest a good fork spring compression tool. Also, any suggestions on does and don'ts ? Thanks in advance for all your help.

I just used a big furniture clamp. It squished the springs right down no problem.

Comment

Ratchet strap.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I had a steel tool made, with a hook at the bottom and a flat plate at the top with two locating buttons for the top spring nuts, screwed down on a threaded shaft. That works, but two or more ratchet straps, with plastic strips to protect the paintwork, also works well. If doing it for the first time, lay the forks down on the floor and position yourself so you don't get hit by flying parts.

Comment

I use the furniture clamp as Dustydog mentioned. They are about $9.00 at Harbor Freight or a similar store. I had a friend weld some flat stock on the clamps to create a lip. Otherwise the clamp wants to slip off. Attached are pics of the clamp. You need to buy the 3/4 inch pipe separately. I bought a 3 ft. section and it worked perfectly. And like Steve said; put something on the springer to protect your paint. Hope this helps.
          CraigCIMG0889.JPGCIMG0890.JPGCIMG0891.JPGCIMG0892.JPGCIMG0893.JPG

Comment

dustydog, Rubone, Steve and 41craig

I really appreciate the info. gonna give it a try this week.

Thanks again,

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Chessie Jake View Post
              Hi,

I'm getting ready to take my front forks apart for the first time and wanted to know if anyone can suggest a good fork spring compression tool. Also, any suggestions on does and don'ts ? Thanks in advance for all your help.
              Perhaps a little late but Ill chime in hoping it may help. Of the several I have dismantled I never had much issue with dismantle. I agree to take some pressure off with a ratchet strap but I admit to dismantling without and no missiles across the room. Reassembly requires way more care as every finish is new and must be protected. I too use the ratchet strap to compress the large lower springs. I use a great deal of micro fibre or other clean towels to protect paint finishes from the strap and pressure. I also wrap the spring fork legs. So as not to force the top spring I compress these with a simple arrangement using a threaded rod, washers, old fork bushings and nuts. This held vertically in a vise. Its as simple as nut, large fender washer, fork bushing, upper spring (to be compressed) another inverted bushing, washer, nut. Wind the nut down to compress the spring about 50% and install three medium electrical zap straps to hold the spring in compression. Install these two or three coils from each end.
              With the lower springs installed and under compression from the ratchet straps the compressed upper springs will slide onto the rods with lots of exposed thread to install the top nuts without injuring the new cad finishes. Release the zap straps, then release the ratchet.
              Having trouble with the pictures but have many and sorry to say can't seem to get them on here for you. Happy building!

Bob Appleton
              aclmotorcyclecollection.com
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bob Appleton; 10-14-2018, 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling and add pics
              www.aclmotorcyclecollection.com

Comment

Panhead Jim used a similar method.

http://www.ridingvintage.com/2014/08...vidson-vl.html

Comment

Bob,

Thanks a lot for the information......and the pictures. I'm definitely a picture guy. Really helpful, since I have had a few other things in life come up and have yet to get to the forks. Hopefully in the next month or so.

Thanks again,

Frank

Comment

Peter,

Thanks a lot for that link. Really, really helpful. Hopefully get to the forks soon.

Frank

Comment

Just this am I assembled this fork spring area for a 30V I have underway and utilized the Panhead Jim method with an Irvine quick clamp.
                      Works very well and an excellent tool to have around. These being able to both compress and expand make them a great help to gently open a front engine guard to slip onto the footboard support rod ends.
                      Attached Files
                      www.aclmotorcyclecollection.com

Comment

Working...
                      X