No announcement yet.

Nonchrome 1934-38 taillight housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wrong about the tail light on my 34VLD. Underneath the black paint and crust I found some tiny flecs of chrome. I'm now sure it had a chromed cup from the factory. I apologize for my error.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I have been wrong too. Since this topic was actual, I have found an early complete 36VD. Traces of chrome is visible on that cup. So there has been chrome cups on export bikes to Finland. Still the absense of chrome on the backside of the cup on my 35 VDS puzzles me. Could have to do with the sidecar option. Somebody suggested that the Servicars did not have chrome cups. Of course this particular sidecar was originally not equipped with the optional taillight!

Regards
      Fiskis
      AMCA #2124

Comment

Dear Fiskis, I have a vague memory that police bikes did not get the chrome cup for some transitional period, and isn't your machine ex-Police? For a quarter point I would not re-chrome what might be an original taillight.

Comment

I have just looked at my factory photos of 1934-1938 models. They all show a chrome bucket. But in all fairness I can state that I have had a NOS tail lamp that was all black. but you have to remember that replacement parts are oftem made after production on that model is over and the replacement part will have differences.
          The 1933 and earlier models had a black bucket.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Steve, yes it certainly has been a police bike, but according to the archives it became the property of the govenment in 1936. So maybe it was not ordered as a police bike. There are no police equipment either to be seen in old photos. But what would this hobby be worth without a few mysteries?

Chris, I do not think it has been replaced between production stopped 1938/39 and the beginning of WWII in 1939. After the war, foreign currecy was tight and not spent on such luxory like an original taillamp. During restoration the rear fender and shroud did not show signs of extensive damage or previous bodywork.

Fiskis
            AMCA #2124

Comment

Working...
            X