No announcement yet.

Big Twin Side Valve Head and Base Gaskets soon available from Cometic Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Twin Side Valve Head and Base Gaskets soon available from Cometic Gaskets

This is a quick announcement to the greater community of big old flathead freaks.

I recently contacted Cometic Gaskets to get some higher quality products as I button up a motor and was surprised to learn they did not have base or head gasket patterns for Harley Big Twin Side Valves. I'm not 100% happy with current after market gaskets, so I sent them several NOS gaskets (in copper and fibre) from my collection for CAD conversion.

Long story made short, in about three to four weeks the patterns will be done and tested. I have after market and original 80" SV parts on the shelf; so I'll test the patterns with both to ensure fit. After that, any one should be able to ring them up and order "custom" head or base gaskets in just about any material and thickness you desire. Cometic's website lists all the materials and thicknesses they stock -- as you'll see the combinations are nearly endless depending on what you're doing to your motor and why.

Here is a direct link to that portion of their website:
    http://www.cometic.com/p-35446-custom-gaskets.html

I'm not 100% sure on the final cost; but they should be in the range of $15-20 per head gasket and $8-12 per base gasket depending on material, plus shipping from Ohio.

So, if you suddenly find yourself needing stroker plates or a special thickness head gasket to help hustle your 80 year old obsolete iron down the road . . . it should be a phone call away.

Rad. Thanks.

Comment

So? What are they going to do deferentially? I never had a problem with the copper head gaskets on the market right now. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

...they're going to come in different thicknesses. That's nice for those of us who like a little pop and sizzle from our flatties. I got hotrod heads on mine, I'd love the ability to squeeeeeeze it a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
          ...they're going to come in different thicknesses. That's nice for those of us who like a little pop and sizzle from our flatties. I got hotrod heads on mine, I'd love the ability to squeeeeeeze it a little more.
          Exactly. By having a range of base and head gaskets available you may custom tune your squish and pop up (if you run it that way) without permanent machining.

It also gives you the ability to play with different piston and head configurations with simple, inexpensive gasket or base plate changes. Yeah, you need to deal with manifold spread, but that's dead easy.

if you are happy with what's out there now, cool.

For those that are not, alternatives are coming.

Comment

Gaskets came in yesterday and fit perfectly.

Cost was about $15/ea. or $30/pair. This included the cost of converting NOS gaskets to CAD -- so those putting custom orders in the future should get a slightly better price.

As a bonus; they even package them nicely. The below photo is of several different thicknesses of base plates and two different thicknesses of head gasket. Yippee.

IMG_1762.jpg

Comment

thats great to hear good on you

Comment

Thank you, thats what makes this forum great
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X