1949 WL 45 Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 WL 45 Ignition Switch

May need to replace my ignition switch. It was an aftermarket one I bought about 18 years ago. Now when rotating from the run position to the headlight position, it kills the motor every time. I know I need to check for any loose wires (or any that may have been rubbed through), but I suspect the lousy switch is finally dead.

A) Anyone know of a good (new) switch out there for sale?
    B) Anyone know if these switches are easy to take apart, clean up & put back together?

Thanks!
    Matt Allyn
    1932 Ford Roadster / 1949 Mercury Coupe / 1949 Harley Davidson 45 / 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible / 1957 Lincoln Premiere Convertible / 1959 Lambretta TV175 / 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Convertible / 1962 Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon / 1962 Chrysler 300H / 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport / 1964 International Travelall / 2015 Tesla Model S

Even the aftermarket switches are pretty rugged. I would take a good hard look at the switch, and it's surroundings to see if it's shorting out somewhere. They are simple in design, and the assembly is straight forward so it will easily come apart. Again, look at it very carefully, and also be aware that you could have a frayed wire in the loom that shorts out when it gets power. Obviously you knew all that I did have a switch that had a cracked cover that caused a short.

Our member, Terry Marsh rebuilds genuine H-D switches. I don't know if he sells outright, or does it on an exchange basis. His work is excellent.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
    X