VL won't go in gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL won't go in gear.

Got the 32 VL running but when I try to put it in gear while it is running it grinds and won't go into gear. During build I had it shifting nice but ever since I got it running it won't. Sitting still you have to rock the bike to get it into gear, I have played with adjusting the clutch numerous times to no avail. Any ideas?

Well, it is a crash Harley gearbox 1915-36, so you might expect some shifting problems, especially coming down from top into second. The clutch adjustment is clearly described in the Riders Handbook. Undo the rear clutch rod clevis, then adjust the pull rod nuts until the clutch operating arm just has free play before engaging. If this is OK there are two more reasons why the clutch might drag. First the 2500-19 thrust washer under the clutch hub bearings originally came in 6 thou thickness increments from 80-120 thou, so must have been important. Too much clearance and the clutch drum wobbles, too little and the drum binds and the clutch drags. Pull off the clutch and try a thinner thrust washer. Then the clutch drum splines can get worn or damaged by chatter from the dogs on the lined clutch plates. Take a flat file to the lined plates and a grinder to the splines and you should be able to dress it out enough to get smoother operation.

Comment

Thank you, I just got a selection of thrust washers yesterday to try.
      Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      Well, it is a crash Harley gearbox 1915-36, so you might expect some shifting problems, especially coming down from top into second. The clutch adjustment is clearly described in the Riders Handbook. Undo the rear clutch rod clevis, then adjust the pull rod nuts until the clutch operating arm just has free play before engaging. If this is OK there are two more reasons why the clutch might drag. First the 2500-19 thrust washer under the clutch hub bearings originally came in 6 thou thickness increments from 80-120 thou, so must have been important. Too much clearance and the clutch drum wobbles, too little and the drum binds and the clutch drags. Pull off the clutch and try a thinner thrust washer. Then the clutch drum splines can get worn or damaged by chatter from the dogs on the lined clutch plates. Take a flat file to the lined plates and a grinder to the splines and you should be able to dress it out enough to get smoother operation.

Comment

Please let us all know what fixes it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
          Please let us all know what fixes it for you.

Sorry it took so long to get back, I was busy. Anyhow I had a .090 thrust washer behind the clutch hub and I installed a .080 washer and adjusted the clutch, shifts great and runs good. I got the timing set right and 2 or three prime kicks, switch on and starts on first kick. Look for it on Ebay soon.

Comment

Very nice looking VL!! Remember that slogan.... Trust the man that wears the star? The bright red Texaco Star! (or something like that from my memory)
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Along with see the USA from behind my Chevrolet, slower times for sure. Thanks for the compliment.
              Originally posted by Jim View Post
              Very nice looking VL!! Remember that slogan.... Trust the man that wears the star? The bright red Texaco Star! (or something like that from my memory)

Comment

" You can trust your car to the man who wears the star, the big bright Texaco star!"

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone... I forgot the "Trust your car" part! HAHA!! It's been a few years...
                  Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                  X