ULH WL Primary Chain Oiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ULH WL Primary Chain Oiler

I don't know if anyone has discussed this before, but I found out that my primary chain on my '41 Flathead 80 was not getting the proper oil. You could see that the oil was hitting the inside of my outer primary and rolling down the primary and not oiling the chain. I talked to a mechanic at the local chop shop about it and he gave me a Sparky brand spark plug boot and told me to slip it on to my chain oiler pipe and clamp it with a small band clamp. 45 years later, it still keeps my chain oiled properly. ( See the pics ) Just push it on and leave a little space between the end of the pipe and the boot. The oil hits the boot and drops on to the chain. Also note the '55 - '64 inner primary mounting hardware. This has also worked for over 45 years without cracking my primary.
    CraigCIMG0628.JPG

The factory pipe on a UL directs the oil just fine, but over the years many have been replaced with non-standard types of oiler pipes. Factory types are flared at the end to drip. OHV models used a dripper that clamped on. The sparky is fine though. They are great on an OHV since if the dripper falls off they raise hell in the primary but the sparky just gets ground up. On an OHV it needs to be mountd in reverse of the UL series, with the large end on the bigger diameter pipe than the small end application of the Flathead. An old trick from many years ago and still valid today. But I suggest NOT using a clamp. Glue it in place so if it ever comes off there is no foreign metallic object to get wadded up in the chain.
    Last edited by Rubone; 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie; I agree with discarding the clamp these days as the new clamps are probably poor quality imports.
      Craig

Comment

Working...
      X