Cam installation VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam installation VL

First post ,I needed to repair gear case cover .Now to reinstall it seems like I had a picture of how timing marks are aligned but I can't find it I have shop dope 1917-1949 and S.Slocombe's book any how I am hoping someone can post a picture also I think if I rotate the flywheels to the proper spot I should be able to install all the cams will this become clear to me when I go to install ?Thanks any tips are appreciated

I suppose this is what you're looking for? This is from my VLH
    Timing Gears VLH.jpg
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

This is from the1930 riders manual and the Timing Marks (and wording) is the same as the later models:
      1930 VL Page 12-13.jpg
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Thank you Jim great response I have that book some where time to search

Comment

Found it 1930 thru 1949 operation maintenance specifications.Well I made my first post .Very helpful.

Comment

What year VL are you working on?? Glad to help out when I can!
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

34VFD 14years into a 20 year project !

Comment

The timing picture is in the later editions of my VL book on page 15-4. Setting up the timing is pretty bulletproof. You have one mark on the pinion gear, number one and number four cams, two on number three, and three on the number two cam. Sometimes you find the oil pump drive cam with two marks, because it has come from a magneto model, and this can throw you out. If you later pull off the cam cover and disturb the cams, you will find numbers 1,2 and 3 go back as the diagram, but not number four as it is lifting the front exhaust valve. Just put it back any way you can, reset cam position to the timing diagram, count how many teeth the No 4 cam is out and in which direction, turn motor to a position where No 4 cam can be removed and turned the appropriate distance, then back to the diagram position to check until you get it right.

Comment

Thanks I must have the earlier edition . This forum is a great resource .

Comment

Working...
                  X