Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Headlight

Good morning guys,
    I'm currently raising a John Brown Motolamp from the grave and could use some help identifying a part that the HD 26-39 parts book is less than clear on. What's the difference between a 4915-31 Door Lug and a 4915-33? Which one do I have pictured here? Headlight Door Lug 1 (2).jpgHeadlight Door Lug 2 (3).jpg
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

I don't know the difference, but the part you have retains the headlight bezel to shell.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by indian301 View Post
      I don't know the difference, but the part you have retains the headlight bezel to shell.

Dave
      Yes sir.

The problem I'm attempting to solve here is that when assembled, the door lug screw is tight before the cotter pin hole clears the bucket lug. Pictured here is the OEM bucket with a repop door/lug/screw: Door Lug Screw (2).jpg

To recap info in Steve Slocombe's book - the same bucket was used from 1931-34; but the lens and the rim changed with the flat lens from 1931-32 to the convex lens from 1933-34.

So the bucket and screw stayed the same while the door and the lug were changed. As this door doesn't have the lozenge on top, it SHOULD be the later door, but I believe I need to change out the lug.
      I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Comment

the lug must be different on 1931-32 and 1933-34 (and later up to 1938 on Indians) as the profile of the bezel is different. Attached you find a pictures of a lug on a NOS 33 and later headlight.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gsottl View Post
          the lug must be different on 1931-32 and 1933-34 (and later up to 1938 on Indians) as the profile of the bezel is different. Attached you find a pictures of a lug on a NOS 33 and later headlight.
          That makes sense, the repop bezel I have has just an "L" angle lug which was soldered in, so that would explain the large gap. I was afraid that the 4915-33 was also an "L" angle because I can't tell from the parts book.

Thank you gsottl for taking the time to share the picture. Do the dimensions of your 4915-33 approximate what I have up in the first couple pictures?

Comment

It's been a long time since I've had both parts, so can't be sure. The 1931/2 lug takes a spring 4916-31 which I've never seen. Florian's nos picture is missing the fastening screw lock ring, which I think is still fitted after 1930, and the cotter pin. While we are rivet counting, I think nos Motolamps had an 11/16" a/f fixing nut, which Harley translated as the 5/8" a/f 0133 or 0134 being the nearest standard size in their parts books. Can any owners of original Motolamps confirm this?

Comment

I'm not sure if this helps or not but here's some pictures of the Motolamp on my 32. Sorry for the poor picture quality but the bike is in a relatively dark spot. I've owned the bike since the early 1980's and knew of it for years before that so I think it's an original light. The screw connecting the bezel to the shell is likely not correct. Anyway I hope this helps!007.jpg009.jpg.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
                I'm not sure if this helps or not but here's some pictures of the Motolamp on my 32.
                It is helpful Steve, thank you man.

In comparing the thickness and offset with Florian's NOS picture, it looks like my lug is closer to yours. But then again it's been awhile since I've had my eyeballs calibrated.

Comment

Hope this helps, Grumpa!

It shows the retaining clips as the bezel is being straightened upon a genuine AMF fixture.

.....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Unfortunalely I do not have the parts on had, but think the part pictures in your first post would be the correct clip for 1930-32 as shown in Tomīs post. I attached a few more pictures that might be helpful...
                    Attached Files

Comment

more pictures
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the details guys, especially the 1931-2 clip showing the lug is not brazed to the rim. I've had the 4918-29 and -31 door screws nos and they were flat nickel plated brass, so it looks like the door lug and focus screws would be the same. The 1931/2 Motolamp really sets off those bikes, here's a picture of a '32 in the delft blue and turquoise paint scheme.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X