Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45" Tripper Bolt Adjustment

Hello,

I hope the old saying that "there's no such thing as a stupid question" applies here.

As with my other current projects (1st Knuckle, 1st JD) this is my 1st attempt at a 45" transmission rebuild.

OK here's what I need some help on. It seems that there must be some sort of adjustment procedure for the 45" transmission kicker tipper bolts. The manual I have doesn't mention any adjustment but if I tighten the tripper bolt nuts all the way, the heads of the tripper bolts pretty much go flush with the counterbores inside the transmission case. I don't think that's the way it's suppose to be.

So, can anyone offer some advise on how to properly set this up? Also, if you don't tighten them up all the way what keeps them from coming loose is use?

Thanks!

That is exactly the way it is supposed to be. When they are flush one edge of the head sits out into the counterbore which is where the kicker gear sits. When it rotates the cam ramps on the kicker gear are either held away from, or allowed to engage the countershaft gear (with the aid of the spring) don't forget the small spring in the end of the countershaft which keeps it loaded against the bushing on the cover side.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie,
      Makes perfect sense now that you've explained it.

Comment

Working...
      X