VL Jijjy stand spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Jijjy stand spring

The Judges say the ends of the spring should face up . The "34 accesories catalog showes them down ( see attachment ) . Does anyone know what is correct ?? Thanks , Mike
    PS : I know I spelled Jiffy wrong ! Sorry it was early & they woulden't let me edit the title !!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1970 XLCH; 02-14-2018, 06:37 AM.

No, I don't know what is "Correct". But that is a conundrum! So... maybe it is possible that bikes came from the factory with the spring installed facing UP, but when they were sold as an accessory they were both facing DOWN? I "personally" believe the PHOTO in the accessory catalog to be "correct". But... what do I know? I don't show or have my bikes judged.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Mike, I would agree with Jim. With the spring hooks facing down they are less likely to catch anything. I would think a factory accessory catalog could be used as proof during judging; but, better to ask the judges first. William
      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

on page 19-2 of Johnny sells book it shows one end up & the outer end down.It is the OEM parts diagram.Next to it is the spring,also showing one end up & the other,outer end down...this is RL book

Comment

Just one more reason I will never do the judging crap.
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

It probably varied depending if the original installer was left or right handed, he (or she) just did what was easiest for them at the time. I can't imagine a judge would even BE that picky!

Comment

More likely it was up & down,down for safety of your leg.I replace lots of springs,they usually go on easier & work smoother without wearing the perches if done as original

Comment

Thank's everyone ! Yes Rich , it is ridicules that grown men would be discussing such CRAP !!!!! That is why I hate restoration ! I will never do another one . I like bobbers , choppers & customs , where you don't have to worry about which way a spring is installed !!!! Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 1970 XLCH View Post
                  ...That is why I hate restoration... I like bobbers , choppers & customs...
                  Dont forget 'conservations', Mike!

Hating "restoration" is what a "conservation" is all about.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Don't know if this will help or not but here's a couple pictures of the one my 34. It's one of the few parts that had not been removed
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is like wiring routing, where the part is correct but there is a disagreement about installation. I might make a judging comment if sure, but would not usually deduct.

Comment

Working...
                      X