Duel plug VLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duel plug VLD

Hello all. My name is Lee and I've been looking around the site for quite a while, became a member last year. I figured it was time to post something I've been putting my grandpas 34 VLD back together after being taken apart since sometime in the late 50's to early 60's. I got the engine mostly competed today and was curious if anybody has seen any heads like these before or has any info on them. I would like to thank everyone for such a great website loaded with knowledge.
    Attached Files

So you also need dual coils.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Don't know if I'll run 2 coils or not, got a long ways to go until I get to that point. The story I was told was that you could switch the wire to the other plug when you were racing if you fouled out the first plug

Comment

I don't know anything about them but they look neat! Cheers

Comment

Isn't that the same outfit that made the alloy ones? I believe they were out of Portland.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes, it looks like a steel version of the Smith 7-bolt alloy heads out of Portland Oregon, adapted for twin plugs. Alloy heads were tested in California in 1935 but never went into production, being superseded by 9 bolt iron heads the following year. I don't know if it was the Portland heads tested in 1935, or if these were later aftermarket items. I've not seen these iron 7-bolt two plug heads before, cool! Is there a compression code stamped underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee.c View Post
              Don't know if I'll run 2 coils or not, got a long ways to go until I get to that point. The story I was told was that you could switch the wire to the other plug when you were racing if you fouled out the first plug
              Seems like an unused plug would get a good layer of carbon on it.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! These have a a couple words before the raised Portland Or casting but sadly corrosion got the best of them and I can't make out what they are. After reading the replies Smith might be one of them. I couldn't find any stampings anywhere when I was cleaning them up. Here's a few more pictures if anybody wants to see them
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  Seems like an unused plug would get a good layer of carbon on it.
                  Same thought crossed my mind to, seems like if you fouled one the second one wouldn't light either

Comment

Here's a picture of an aluminium head on my 35VLDD. Looks like this and the twin plug head came from the same or similar mould.
                    Attached Files

Comment

could you show a picture of the bottom? there is only 1/16 inch or so of clearance in there before it hits the piston unless its sitting in a pocket. from the top it does'nt look as if its sitting on much iron.
                      thank you

Comment

Lee.c, that is a fantastic aftermarket VL item, and something that will separate you from the crowd. Does anyone have an idea when, and for how long they were sold? Also, did they improve performance, or just a cool gimmick?
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                          Here's a picture of an aluminium head on my 35VLDD. Looks like this and the twin plug head came from the same or similar mould.

Thank you Steve for showing that picture. Seeing yours I'm convinced mine had the same script. I think you're right about mould, if mine were in better shape they would look just like yours. Great book by the way, it's really helped with this project.

Comment

Originally posted by vride5 View Post
                            could you show a picture of the bottom? there is only 1/16 inch or so of clearance in there before it hits the piston unless its sitting in a pocket. from the top it does'nt look as if its sitting on much iron.
                            thank you
                            Here's a picture from when I was cleaning them up
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              Lee.c, that is a fantastic aftermarket VL item, and something that will separate you from the crowd. Does anyone have an idea when, and for how long they were sold? Also, did they improve performance, or just a cool gimmick?
                              Thank you! I'm really looking forward to being able to ride it and see if anyone notices it.

Comment

Working...
                              X