VL control coil question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL control coil question.

I read in Steve Slocombe's book that there is a set screw to fasten the control coil under the horn and dimmer switch. How is that done? is there a threaded hole under the handle bar to lock it in place? My bars must be pre 30 because I do not have a dimmer switch but I do have a horn button and the horn button is too close to the spiral for a front hand brake also I take the large end plugs. A picture if possible would be greatly appreciated..

The set screw 3333-31 appeared in 31 with a new spool 3332-31 on the control cable.
    There is a threaded hole in the handlebar, check top and bottom.
    If handlebars were rusty the screw can disappear, sand blast or wire brush to find it.

Comment

The dimmer switch was introduced in 1929, and the horn button in 1926, so you have bars from between those years. 1930 is the most produced VL year, and these also do not have the 1931 set screws, which lie under the handlebar switches between the fixing screws. For 1930 and earlier the two left hand thread 3343-09 nuts are run all the way up the outer control cables to lock the cables against the bars. For 1930 bikes, as a belt and braces approach, I use a longer screw as the outer switch fixings and hold the control cable plug/spool with this, as well as the outer cable lock nuts. Leather control cable covers are then put on to stop the cables chafing against the forks and paintwork. You may want to consider trading your bars out with the owner of a 1926-28 JD, otherwise you can move the horn button to make room for the hand brake lever and drill/tap holes for the set screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
        The dimmer switch was introduced in 1929, and the horn button in 1926, so you have bars from between those years. 1930 is the most produced VL year, and these also do not have the 1931 set screws, which lie under the handlebar switches between the fixing screws. For 1930 and earlier the two left hand thread 3343-09 nuts are run all the way up the outer control cables to lock the cables against the bars. For 1930 bikes, as a belt and braces approach, I use a longer screw as the outer switch fixings and hold the control cable plug/spool with this, as well as the outer cable lock nuts. Leather control cable covers are then put on to stop the cables chafing against the forks and paintwork. You may want to consider trading your bars out with the owner of a 1926-28 JD, otherwise you can move the horn button to make room for the hand brake lever and drill/tap holes for the set screws.
        Thank you Steve, I already moved the horn switch and drilled and tapped for the dimmer switch. I like the idea of using the longer screw.

Comment

Working...
        X