VL Drain Valve Photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Drain Valve Photos?

I received some new drain valve parts from Steve (VL Heaven) today. Nice quality! (I'm on a bit of a small parts buying spree lately.) I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to anywhere so I thought I'd post in case others can also benefit.

What order do the felt, cork, steel washers go in?

Anyone have a good pic of the drain catch lever installed? (is it notched side down?)

Any recommendations for a substitute for the Drain Valve Head Spring 479-29? (the small spring on the drain side, mine was broken, so not sure how big it actually is)

DrainValveParts.jpg

I had the one on my 1936 VLH leak and replaced the cork. These parts are IN ORDER of removal. I guess mine didn't have the "Packing Washer Felt"?? I hope this picture helps.
    Oil Drain.jpg
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Thanks Jim. That's progress! Helps to see the lower spring size too. I guess the steel packing washer is the part above the upper spring. TBD on the felt, maybe below the upper spring...

Comment

I assume that the lower spring just keeps pressure on the cork washer so it stays in place. I also remember that "C" Clip shooting off when I pried it off the rod. So... just a heads up on that! YES, I did find it! LOL
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

sny,
          Photos of the catch/case drain lever on my '35 VLD. Hope this helps.
          William
          Attached Files
          William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
          http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            I assume that the lower spring just keeps pressure on the cork washer so it stays in place. I also remember that "C" Clip shooting off when I pried it off the rod. So... just a heads up on that! YES, I did find it! LOL
            ok interesting, sounds logical to keep everything together. I don't have c-clip or a spring just one thin washer like in your photo. May have to improvise.

Comment

Originally posted by wideglide38 View Post
              sny,
              Photos of the catch/case drain lever on my '35 VLD. Hope this helps.
              William
              perfect thanks!

Comment

The felt packing washer is under the shaped steel washer in the top of the crankcase where the drain valve lever goes through. It must seal the drain valve so oil mist doesn't come out. It's usually still there under the steel washer, which is not often removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                  The felt packing washer is under the shaped steel washer in the top of the crankcase where the drain valve lever goes through. It must seal the drain valve so oil mist doesn't come out. It's usually still there under the steel washer, which is not often removed.
                  Thanks Steve!

Comment

How do I remove the drain shaft after removing the lever,spring?
                    can I repair this part without taking the motor apart.
                    mine leaks out oil even after the drain is closed
                    i really appreciate your photos and comments on this.
                    thank you

Comment

If you tip the bike over towards the right, you can unscrew the long drain valve rod from underneath with a short slotted screwdriver and withdraw it. The seal can then be replaced. I'm out of all those fiddly Harley parts such as the C-clip, tiny washer and spring, but it does not seem to hurt to leave them out.

Comment

Than you Steve

Comment

I took the whole rod out and found mine is missing the small spring, washers and clip that go next to the cork gasket on the bottom of the engine.
                          Do I need these as the drain is under tension and not leaking? It opens and closes like it should. The cork washer is secure in the cup. If I need these pieces, do you know where I can get them?
                          I didn't know where the felt washer should go so I placed it on top of the case with the large spring and level on top of it. Is this correct?
                          thank you.

Comment

Dear Wildcat, no-one is making those fiddly drain valve parts so they would need to come from a donor bike. I've left them out in recent rebuilds. If you remove the top lever and spring you will find a steel washer underneath, set into the top of the crankcase. Remove this and you'll see the felt washer underneath. It must be to stop crankcase vapours venting out round the drain valve lever.

Comment

Thanks again Steve. That is what I ended up doing and it still works fine without those little parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X