1931 Harley VL with crankcase baffles intact, ring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Harley VL with crankcase baffles intact, ring question

I have read most posts on pros and cons of VL baffles intact or cut out. I want to run intact baffles and modern aluminum Pistons. What do you use rather than lower oil scraper ring or do you use the modern oil scraper. It is my understanding that VL with baffles and modern oil scraper ring will cause motor to accumulate too much oil in crankcase too fast and run hot. does anyone with intact baffles use the modern oil scraper ring with no problem. If not, what do you use for the lower ring. It is my understanding that there has to be some type lowere ring to help keep the piston running right in cylinder. Thanks!

Hi Buster,
    I'm in the same boat as you. 31V with intact baffles and I don't wish to remove them. I got pistons with 3 compression rings from JP Pistons here in Oz. The engine isn't running yet so I can't tell you how it performs but, in theory at least, it should be same as original.

https://www.norndaautomotive.com.au/...cui,%20CR4.5:1

Comment

I would run modern oil control rings. That is what I have in my 31 VL. The engine runs cleaner and doesn't burn any oil. Now in theory you will eventually accumulate too much oil. That's why I change the oil every 150 miles. In 150 miles of running, it's not enough running to accumulate too much oil to a harmful level. By dropping the oil and using the pumper, it's a fresh start, with not too much oil in the crankcase. Also, with only 8oz of oil in the engine I would think that changing at 150 miles would be a benefit. Just my opinion.

Comment

Harleytoprock, are your case baffles intact? Thanks.

Comment

Yes the baffles are intact.

Comment

Working...
          X