Question about 1946 WL brake light switch & hardware configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 1946 WL brake light switch & hardware configuration

I was hoping that someone could help me with the configuration of the brake light switch and related hardware on a 1946 WL45.
    I have had a chrome switch on my bike for 20 plus years, and finally purchased a complete parkerized kit. I would like to make sure I install everything correctly, but I can't find a good reference in the parts catalog, in the "How to restore your Harley-Davidson" book or anywhere else online.

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to try to get this right

Please see the pictures below. Here are my questions:

1. I am assuming that the clamp that mounts to the brake rod goes on as shown? (tab down and rear-facing) is that correct? It is pointing up and front in the parts manual.
    2. Where does the insulating disk with three holes go? I don't think it makes sense to go on first before the wire terminals and screws, but sliding it on after the screws are tight doesn't seem to make sense either.
    3. Does the wire spring clip go on as shown, with the open end facing up? It shows facing down in the parts manual.
    4. I am assuming the clamp bolt with the notch goes in so the wing nut is to the outside of the bike? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jupiter2; 10-19-2017, 06:40 PM.
    Jim
    AMCA #466

The parts book diagram is correct (for big twin), the wire hook receiver sits on top of the brake rod (for big twin), not sure if wl is the same, Robbie will know.
    The insulator disc is first then wire and screw, notice screw in diagram.
    Last edited by 1950Panhead; 10-19-2017, 12:05 PM. Reason: Big twin notes

Comment

Thank you - that answers question #2.

I think the receiver has to hang down, since the brake switch itself is under the brake rod on a 45.

It's interesting how there are still some details like this that are under-documented.
      Jim
      AMCA #466

Comment

pretty sure 45 does not use the rod brake lock and stud... for the brake light switch... it has a longer wire that goes right to the brake pedal

Comment

45 Brake light switch.jpg

part number for 45 wire is 72020-39 you'll see two listed one for big twin and one for 45

Comment

The parts catalog I pictured is for the 45 and the 45 Restoration company has the same kit with the brake rod clamp. So that is definitely confusing.
            Last edited by jupiter2; 10-19-2017, 06:37 PM.
            Jim
            AMCA #466

Comment

The Brake lock clamp is used on the long rod... and it's used as just that... a lock to lock the brake on so that you can remove the back wheel from the drum... serves no other purpose on a 45... you press the brake loosen the clamp and slide it back against the lower battery box mount bolt
              45 Brake lock.jpg here it is on my 39 WLD (first year of it)

Comment

I just ordered the 72020-39 parkerized wire on eBay. It is definitely strange that all 45 references seem to show that clamp.
                Jim
                AMCA #466

Comment

I just checked Palmer's book and it's in there on page 227 and 228... check it out...

Comment

I must have an older edition - mine has oil pumps on those pages. Any chance you could post a pic of those pages?
                    Jim
                    AMCA #466

Comment

45 Brake lock data.jpg
                      45 Brake lock data2.jpg
                      45 Brake lock data1.jpg

Comment

Thank you! So it looks like the long spring pull connects right to the brake pedal, and I still do put the brake lock on the rod, with the tab upright and to the rear, as a brake lock, back near the battery box bracket?
                        Jim
                        AMCA #466

Comment

Just saw this. Yes, the long pull goes directly to the pedal. And the lock is situated so that it moves with the rod with no interference but an be positioned against the lower tool box/battery box bolt to hold the pedal in place. As stated it is only used for rear drum removal from the wheel hub.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, thank you. After looking at the bike, it seems impossible to position the lock on the rod so it could contact the lower battery box bolt, as that area is where the speedometer clamp mounted to the battery box bolt, goes between the chain guard and the brake rod. So the lock can’t get near the bolt.
                            Jim
                            AMCA #466

Comment

Sorry Jim, My mistake. It is positioned in front of the front chainguard mounting bolt and locks against the head of the bolt to hold the rod, not the battery box bolt.
                              Robbie
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X