Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb newbie question of the day

Hi all,

I took my 1948 WL on my first ride yesterday. I seem to be having difficulty downshifting when slowing down.

While I understand that the gearbox is non synchromesh, i feel that downshifting should still be fairly easy.

What are the best practices for downshifting one of these machines?

Thanks
    JJ

I haven't taken my first ride on my 1942 WLA yet. Looking forward to any answers.

Comment

Too high a road speed will cause difficult downshifting for 45 boxes. If you are going over 35 or so it will be tricky, it is much better at slower speeds. Matching rpm to ratios is a learned experience. Throttle blip, clutch adjustment, rider "feel", are all part of it. So no, it isn't "easy". It takes a bit of a learning curve to master it.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        Too high a road speed will cause difficult downshifting for 45 boxes. If you are going over 35 or so it will be tricky, it is much better at slower speeds. Matching rpm to ratios is a learned experience. Throttle blip, clutch adjustment, rider "feel", are all part of it. So no, it isn't "easy". It takes a bit of a learning curve to master it.
        Thank you! I figured as much, but with no real experience on one of these machines I am learning as I go.

JJ

Comment

Working...
        X