Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Dash Variations

VL Dash Base variations.

I have been able to accumulate enough parts to build a long awaited dash for my 1935 VL. I have 3 bases all of which have a different configuration of ammeter holes. Can anyone identify the years/models for any or all please. I could send them off to Steve and I do welcome his response but I thought that this might be interesting for others to see. I have labelled them as A, B and C.

Dash A

Dash A.jpg

Dash B

Dash B.jpg

Dash C

Dash C.jpg

If anyone has an untouched 1934-5 dash I would also be grateful for a photo of the underneath showing all the terminals etc.

I have a 2 top sections and I am still trying to shed something definite on the top that has had no hole created for the dome light. You can see where it should be by the inside plate but it has never been cut.

Dash Back No Light.jpgDash Front No Light.jpg

I think dash base A is the latest one, because the factory have ovalised one ammeter terminal hole to allow for the later white face ammeter which has a different pitch on the terminals from the earlier bar and shield type. On the dash tops, I'm guessing one comes from a 1930, 1931 or 1936 magneto model where the dash lamp was not used.

Comment

When did the mount stems get the reinforcement plates added?
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks for the input Steve.

Mark. Can you expand on you comment please. The 3 dashes all look the same where they screw on.

Comment

Dear Mark, I think the 4526-26 switch guide plates were there from the beginning, at least on the VL dash. They are often missing or broken, and not in the 1930-40 Harley parts book. I guess they are to stop the switch stems rattling, and maybe to help with grounding. Don't know if they were used in the JD dashes.

Comment

Steve
            I'm talking about the extra plates of steel that are spot welded to the backside of the mounting brackets of the dash base plate. Looks like they were added to help stop stress cracks from developing due to vibration.
            Some or all 29 models DIDN'T have them. I'm just wondering if you know when they came into use?
            Mark
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hi Mark and Steve.

P1030624.jpg

Dash A has them. On the inside of the legs where the dash attaches. They go about 2/3 of the way up the each leg.

Dashes B and C don't have them.

Good detail.

Phill

Comment

Phill
                Exactly the detail I was asking about. Just wondering when it started.
                Mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I'm guessing 1929 because the difference between mounting bolts 4506-29 and later 4506-29A might be that the later bolt is longer to allow for the reinforcing plate.

Comment

I would still be really interested in a photo from below of a virgin dash if anyone had one. In discussion here we have a theory that the dashes and wiring loom were assembled and then attached to the bike.

Comment

When I've seen the odd original VL dash it has had wiring attached. You can see from the wiring diagram that the main harness comes up through the hole in the right hand side of the base and is partly wired to the top of the dash contacts rather than the bottom.

Comment

VL dash variations

Here is a picture of the complete original dash for my 1930 DLD. I would assume the 1930 VL was the same. The other dash with very little remaining wiring is from my 1930 C single.hd dld 003.jpghd dld 005.jpg

Comment

Tom
                          Do the mounting tabs on either have the reinforcements as shown earlier in this thread?
                          Thanks
                          Mark Masa
                          Mark Masa
                          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark
                            Both dashes have the reinforcing on the mounting tabs.
                            Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom
                              Mark
                              Mark Masa
                              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                              X