Cycle Electric Generator and Rocker clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle Electric Generator and Rocker clutch

I am working on my 1948 WL and the prior owner had installed a Cycle electric 12v generator with the regulator mounted on the end.

As part of this swap he removed the rocker clutch pedal and went to a servi car style pedal.

I am not a fan of this style clutch pedal at all and want to reinstall the rocker pedal.

It looks like the left footboard strap will have to be spaced out about an inch to make the rocker assembly clear the generator.

Has ant one done this successfully before? and if so how?

Thanks for all of the advice!

Its too late now, Harleyhotrodjj,

But the previous owner's better choice would have been CE's 'standard' generator, without the ugly endmount regulator.
    (CE's separate solid state regulators are easily tucked less conspicuously beneath the generator on the motormount, with a simple bracket.)

My advice would be to cash in the ugly generator as best you can, to some chopper fellow who is into "ugly", and then with the standard model (or even a real OEM 65A), the original design pedal should bolt right on.
    Spacing it out risks your machine sitting on the jiffy stand nearly vertical, and easily tipped over.

....Cotten
    PS: While you have the generator off, please be certain that a proper oil-separator gear has been installed.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-04-2017, 04:04 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Spacing it out risks your machine sitting on the jiffy stand nearly vertical, and easily tipped over.
      The jiffy stand is connected to the frame, the clutch sidebar has nothing to do with it, the location remains the same.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        The jiffy stand is connected to the frame, the clutch sidebar has nothing to do with it, the location remains the same.
        None the less,

The end-mount regulator is still ugly!

....Cotten
        PS: The tragic aspect is that the end-mount regulator is not independent of the rest of end-mount CE generators.
        CE's standard models, however, are part-for-part interchangeable with OEM. They even use the same manufacturing equipment obtained from the OEM supplier.

But CE pushes the endmounts.
        And so do their distributors, to the point of ignoring the availability of the much more authentic 'standard' models. Obviously there is a profit advantage, inspite of their appearance.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-04-2017, 06:06 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Gentlemen,

I couldn't agree more the modern generator is butt ugly!

However I am trying to make due on a budget for now!

Comment

Do whatcha gotta do, Harleyhotrodjj!

At least shimming things out is reversible.

...Cotten
            PS: Even with a rocker clutch, your habit should still be to get into neutral when rolling to a stop anyway.
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-04-2017, 06:13 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by harleyhotrodjj View Post
              Gentlemen,

I couldn't agree more the modern generator is butt ugly!

However I am trying to make due on a budget for now!
              Hello JJ, what ever happened with your 48' WL transmission woes? *M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                Hello JJ, what ever happened with your 48' WL transmission woes? *M.A.D.*
                Took the whole works apart, cleaned and reassembled on the bench and goes through the gears ok now on the bench. I have not ridden the bike since reinstalling the trans as I do not like the servi-car style clutch pedal. I also discovered that the shift lever was slightly twisted causing it to bind in the shift gate.

In hind sight I am glad I tore it apart regardless as the clutch hub nut and sprocket nut were loose, and two holes in the case were stripped.

Thanks for asking!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  Do whatcha gotta do, Harleyhotrodjj!

At least shimming things out is reversible.

...Cotten
                  PS: Even with a rocker clutch, your habit should still be to get into neutral when rolling to a stop anyway.
                  Thanks for the Advice Cotten!

Comment

Working...
                  X