Line bore mismatched Harley VL case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line bore mismatched Harley VL case

Hope this is not stupid question. I have a 1931 sprocket side case with title/ registration and a 1932 pinion side case. I have noticed VL cases do not have alignment pins to hold case alignment prior to inserting case bolts. due to no alignment pins, I can place two cases together and shift the cases 0.004-0.005" back and forth, changing alignment. I can do the same with the only three bottom bolts in. With very minimal honing of one side of remaining case bolt holes, the case halfs could be shifted the 0.004-0.005" and alignment changed. Since a VL does not have case alignment pins like a later model, when aligning mismatched VL case halfs does the machinist use a fixture to align the existing pinion bushing and sprocket bearing and install alignment pins in the cases to hold cases in correct alignment or do they do like in aligning later models boring from pinion bushing into sprocket side case and inserting oversize sprocket side race. I am having problems locally finding a machinist to line bore these mismatched cases. Does anyone have any recommendations for a machine shop, shipping parts out of state is no problem. Thanks!

Buster Do not line bore the cases. If you have not done this procedure then let someone who has do it. Jerry

Comment

I don't know enough about this stuff either, but wouldn't the Cylinders (when bolted down) keep the two cases aligned where they are supposed to be? OR am I just misunderstanding the original post?
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Vl case race and bushing are best aligned by shifting the left case and using oversize alignment studs. This can be accomplished by reducing the od of the raised portion of the right case surface or opening up the counterbore in the left case. The right case is mounted in the milling flat to the cam cover surface and the bushing is indicated to less than .001 runout. The left case is then centered and fastened to the right at the same tolerance. Be respectful of the cylinder base surfaces and spigot holes. The less material removed the better. I use O/S studs that are available from S&S that measure .365, the factory alignment studs are .338-.339. With the left case securely anchored, drill and ream the alignment holes. The odd size ream is available from MSC. You may have to open up other stud and bolt holes for clearance.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I am not capable of line boring the cases myself, that is why I asked for a recommendation on a machine shop that specializes in this procedure. I just like to understand the procedure. I guess I am really asking is there a difference in the way pinion and sprocket side bores are aligned on later model mismatched cases WITH alignment pins and earlier mismatched cases which were manufactured with NO alignment pins. With no case bolts installed, the cases can be shifted back and forth in a range of approx 0.004 and 0.005". The case bolts are the only thing that holds final alignment. Thanks!

Comment

I just found Kyles post after my last post. Thanks Kyles. Do you have any recommendations on who could do this procedure on my cases. thanks!

Comment

I guess I should have asked, Kyle do you do these alignments for other people. I did not know if you were in that business or not.

Comment

Sorry Buster, not taking on any more work at this time. I'm behind on customer work now and I have a big idea about giving some of my own projects a little more attention as they have been neglected. Any good machinist in a local job shop should be able to do this work.
                Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Buster, Give Tom Feeser at Replicant Metals a call. 717-626-1618 (http://www.replicantmetals.com/). He maybe able to help you.
                  William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                  http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X