32v -vl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32v -vl

Can someone tell me how long the front axle is on a 32V the one I have . I can't see the cotter pin hole to put the pin in . I think I have the wrong castle nut but or the axle is not the right length. Any help would be great thanks I'm new to this so bear with me. Also first vl build .

Welcome to the AMCA, Fineline. I can offer some advice; get Steve Slocombe's VL manuals as he has kept them updated over the years, and he knows VLs, Bible, and verse. Castle nuts can be a problem, so I always mark the end of an axel, or bolt with a paint marker so I can see where the cotter pin hole is. I have a lathe, so I can also make a castle nut shorter, if necessary. If all of your parts are genuine Harley-Davidson, it has been my experience that H-D engineered their bolts, and nuts to finish out 'flush' with the correct stack-up of washers, and spacers. In other words, if your axel is recessed into the nut, and your cotter pin hole is covered by the nut, then something isn't right with the parts you have, or the stack-up in the assembly of washers, spacers, hubs, brake plates, etc.

Lastly, most of these forums like an introduction from new members, so do a long, or short biography on yourself as it applies to antique motorcycles
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

My last VL front axle is 9 5/8" long overall.

Comment

Thanks for the information.i think the problem lies with the castle nut.

Comment

Thanks that's what I have I believe it's the nut is to long.

Comment

To all thanks for welcoming me into this forum. I have very little experience with antique motorcycles. But I have been in the auto body industry for 35years and restored many antique cars this is my first flathead harley. Having alot of fun I might add .

Comment

Working...
            X