Shifting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting issue

I acquired my first flathead last night.

Previous owner said downshifting from 3rd into 2nd was a bit of an effort.

Last night sitting on the bike in the garage not running I shifted from n to 2nd then after rocking the bike a bit shifted into 3rd.

I could not get it out of third. After about five minutes of rocking the bike, and pushing on the shifter it finally popped into second then neutral.

Tonight I got home from work anxious to go for a putt. Got the bike running, push in on clutch, shift to 1st, and nothing. Play around with shifter, bike jumps into 2nd gear and stalls.

Restart bike, and repeat and get same result, although I fidgeted with the shifter and finally got it to drop into first. I promptly stalled it at this point.

It seems as though it is not moving far enough forward to engage first now, neutral now falls in an odd place on the gate intermittently, and it gets a neutral in between 3rd and 2nd.

I'm assuming I'm in for a transmission overhaul, but was wondering if there are simpler things I should look at before I pull the transmission?

Thanks in advance
    One bummed out biker

First make sure the clutch is adjusted properly, and the shift linkage is adjusted properly. All the info is in the factory repair manuals. Don't immediately assume there is a major problem. The previous owner may not have had a clue and fiddled with stuff he did not understand. Don't repeat his methodology.
    When the internals in the gearbox are not rotating, they may not shift at all. Take time to learn a bit before tearing up something that may be just fine.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I will check adjustments first. The previous owner was riding it this past weekend though. I think it's in the trans.

Comment

Ok here is what i have found.

Linkage seems as though it was adjusted properly as was clutch.

I pulled the sprocket cover and found the small dowel on the back of the cover that pushes on the shift shaft was replaced by a small spring.

I also notice that the large nut behind the throw out bearing will turn on the shaft freely even though the lock tab is bent over??? the lock tab spins with it. I'm thinking this is not right?

I have everything out of the way now for transmission removal unless you all have any suggestions I should try before yanking it out of the frame and pulling the top cover for deeper inspection.

All input is greatly appreciated!

JJ

Comment

Should have bought my 43' WLC JJ. I spent a couple of days getting it running and ironing out a few little bugs==and it's running Great! Also, some "input" to the new guys starting out buying old. When You say you'll let someone know whether they're still interested, or not, Please at least give a curtesy call to let them know you've changed your mind. *M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
            Should have bought my 43' WLC JJ. I spent a couple of days getting it running and ironing out a few little bugs==and it's running Great! Also, some "input" to the new guys starting out buying old. When You say you'll let someone know whether they're still interested, or not, Please at least give a curtesy call to let them know you've changed your mind. *M.A.D.*
            JoJo,

Man I'm sorry I haven't called you. I wish you would have called me and let me know yours was a runner now. Please forgive my faux pas.

I hope you aren't too mad at me.

Your bike was nice!

See you on the road

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by harleyhotrodjj View Post
              JoJo,

Man I'm sorry I haven't called you. I wish you would have called me and let me know yours was a runner now. Please forgive my faux pas.

I hope you aren't too mad at me.

Your bike was nice!

See you on the road

JJ
              Not a Problem JJ. I was under the impression You might be interested. I opened a can of Kick-ass and got the 43' squared away, which was overdue anyway. Sorry to hear about your tranny problems, those 3-speeds had a huge ratio drop from creeper 1st to 2nd, and a lot of guys started out in 2nd gear. If a rebuild is inevitable, look into and consider a 4-speed conversion*(W&W). Also, watch out for the so-called 3-speed tranny butcher experts out there! And...I would definitely contact the previous owner and raise some Hell!!! Take Care & Good Luck. *M.A.D.* P.s. Another thing, if You have a rear wheel stand, prop it up and test every gear by spinning the rear wheel. This will tell You if there is internal issues. Feel free to call me with brain picks JJ. C'Ya.
              Last edited by JoJo357; 09-22-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                Not a Problem JJ. I was under the impression You might be interested. I opened a can of Kick-ass and got the 43' squared away, which was overdue anyway. Sorry to hear about your tranny problems, those 3-speeds had a huge ratio drop from creeper 1st to 2nd, and a lot of guys started out in 2nd gear. If a rebuild is inevitable, look into and consider a 4-speed conversion*(W&W). Also, watch out for the so-called 3-speed tranny butcher experts out there! Take Care & Good Luck. *M.A.D.* P.s. Feel free to call me for brain picks.
                Whew Glad we are ok still!

I honestly didn't know you planned on making yours a runner. Bought this one with a fresh engine for the same dough and it's a civilian bike from day one, and shares a birth year with my mother, so those were plusses for me.

Going to finish yanking the tans tonight and see where it goes from here.

JJ

Comment

Working...
                X