Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my first Flathead last night, Have some questions

Hi everyone!

Bought a nice rider quality 1948 WL yesterday. It has a decent ammount of reproduction junk on it, buy I was aware of this going in and paid what i think id a fair price for what I got.

I have yet to ride it, but it runs well, has almost no leaking, and I couldn't be more excited to own it!

One issue right off the bat I am aware of is the seller told me it is hard to get it to down shift from 3rd into 2nd. I put it in 3rd just sitting in my garage last night and it was definately a struggle to get it back down into 2nd just sitting there.
    What should I check first for this issue?

I will also be looking to replace the clutch pedal with a correct rocker assembly soon!

Thanks!

JJ

Get a small bike jack to lift the rear so its easier to spin the rear wheel while shifting through the gears. The shifter drum may be binding on the shaft, the shifter gear may have a flat spot on the shaft or binding on the sides. Could be a bunch of things. Keep in mind that it is hard to shift them into gear without the wheel spinning on a good day
    Al Cournoyer
    1942 WLA Boober
    1928 JDL Super Sport In progress
    Member #23154

Comment

Originally posted by alanc48 View Post
      Get a small bike jack to lift the rear so its easier to spin the rear wheel while shifting through the gears. The shifter drum may be binding on the shaft, the shifter gear may have a flat spot on the shaft or binding on the sides. Could be a bunch of things. Keep in mind that it is hard to shift them into gear without the wheel spinning on a good day
      Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
      X