Need help with a 45 for sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a 45 for sell

This is for sale about an hour from where I live. It's the bike I want but I'm too new at this to tell how much is repop stuff. Can someone take a look at it and shoot me a reply with your thoughts? And no, this is not mine and I'm not the seller. Just looking for some info.

Thanks.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/mc...258738509.html
    Member Number: 19705

The speedometer, tank badges, fender light are reproduction, good chance front fender is reproduction would need a closer look.
    Price some high, offer $14k if you want it.

Comment

The fork rockers, entire front wheel and brake assembly, and fender are wrong for a WL. They are all Big Twin type as used on Servi-Cars and WLC military bikes. Coil is aftermarket, seat is wrong year, ignition switch is reproduction.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Besides all of the above, the muffler is a repop; a replica of one from the late Thirties.
        The bike all over tells that it was put together by someone building something that would be a fun rider, get "oohs," and "aahs" at bike nights. but it's no "judgable restoration."
        I put it at ~$12 grand today.

Last edited by Sargehere; 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone. $12k was about what I was thinking. The guy has owned it for 2 years and the harley museum he's referring to is a half diner half museum that's really just more of I guys collection from what I saw. I've been there and it's a great place with a great owner but he said the owner of the place told him this bike was correct. I wasn't convinced.

Comment

The seat is incorrect (much newer) for that bike.

Comment

I've run into more "WL" stamps that are incorrect than anything else. I'd double check the VIN & belly numbers and make sure it isn't a surplus WLA engine that some fellow bought in 47. They are still around NOS in crates!

Comment

Originally posted by whp View Post
                I've run into more "WL" stamps that are incorrect than anything else. I'd double check the VIN & belly numbers and make sure it isn't a surplus WLA engine that some fellow bought in 47. They are still around NOS in crates!
                I'm still trying to learn here. "WL" (racing motor) is rarer than a surplus "WLA" (military bike motor) but how could I run the numbers to see which it is?

Thanks

Comment

*1937-1938 (W) 45'' Low Compression
                  *1937-52 (WL) 45'' High Sport Solo
                  *1937-42 (WLD 45'' Extra High Sport Solo
                  *1937-40 (WLDR & WLDD) *RACING.
                  *1941-52 (WR) 45'' *RACING.
                  *1940-45 (WLA) 45'' Low solo / US Army---*Plus Korean 1949-52
                  *1942-43 (WLC) 45'' Low Solo/Canadian Army.
                  *M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 08-20-2017, 05:14 PM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                    *(WL) Civilian. *(WR) H.D.Factory Race. *(WLA)-Army. *(WLC)-Canadian Army. *M.A.D.*
                    Thanks JoJo. What's the difference in a WL and a WLA or where could I find that out? I searched this forum and came up empty.
                    Last edited by Ramblin_Man; 08-20-2017, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks JoJo. What's the difference in a WL and a WLA or where could I find that out? I searched this forum and came up empty.
                      WL is a civilian model with skirted fenders sold to the public.
                      WLA is a army motorcycle with open fenders sold to the US government for war use.

Comment

Much better deal in Muskegon, Michigan Ramblin' Man. $10,000.00 ***PM Me if interested, hurry, this 42' WLA won't last long!!! *M.A.D.* 00606_bzPbwqbg3hE_1200x900.jpg00I0I_gMvzORi0U4x_1200x900.jpg
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by JoJo357; 08-20-2017, 04:29 PM. Reason: additional pic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
                          WL is a civilian model with skirted fenders sold to the public.
                          WLA is a army motorcycle with open fenders sold to the US government for war use.
                          Thanks Panhead. I didnt know if there was any difference in the motors for the two different models.

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                          Much better deal in Muskegon, Michigan Ramblin' Man. $10,000.00 ***PM Me if interested, hurry, this 42' WLA won't last long!!! *M.A.D.* [ATTACH=CONFIG]20535[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20536[/ATTACH]
                          JoJo, that's awesome. Is that yours?

Comment

Negative, but i have contact info. I have a 1943 WLC that was civilianized. I'm planning on selling, after i go through it. *M.A.D.*Harley43_3.JPGHarley43_2.JPG
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 08-20-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I didnt know if there was any difference in the motors for the two different models.
                              Compression ratio, carb, and number stamped on the case...
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X