VL Kicker Gear Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Kicker Gear Wear

I'm experiencing the kicker not engaging the starter gear for the entire stoke of the kick starter. The kicker slips part way thru the stroke. Makes for difficult starting. Before the Colorado RR I removed kicker and timed kicker gear to starter gear. Kicking thru seemed a little better but not great. Got thru the Road Run ok and an additional week in Sturgis. (Side note, I caught rainbow and brook trout in Spearfish Canyon. Great time. Black Hills is a fantastic place.)

Last weekend at Wauseon meet the kicker seem to slip more than usual. Pulled kicker from trans and find some wear on the 3rd and 4th tooth back. Some wear on other following teeth. I would post my pix but they were too large for Forum.

How much wear should this gear take? Seems to me it should last almost forever. What other sources for why the kicker slips during down stroke?
    Thanks For you help in advance

Adjust your clutch...
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Dear Greg, if you've got a 1931-36 VL with the constant mesh starter, then the position and condition of the 2137-31 release cam disc (ramps) in the starter cover is surprisingly important. You can dress these out a little and try again, but I've seen this a few times on rebuilt bikes and the easy cure has been one or two extra side cover gaskets. Pulling the side cover out a tad means the starter gears engage more fully. These gears will take a lot of wear, and are usually OK if teeth are not busted off.

As I think Robbie was saying, check your mainshaft end float first. This is something you can do with the trans in the bike. Side cover off, clutch operating arm out, left hand lock nut undone, figure of eight lock washer out, then turn in the ball bearing holder until tight and back off half a turn or so. Please report back if any of this fixes it for you.

Comment

Ok, I'l readjust clutch after re-assembly. This may have been the culprit and I didn't see the forest thru the trees. Will also readjust mainshaft end float.
        I have some spare side cover gaskets and can try that tip if other actions are not positive.
        Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Readjusted main shaft. To start threading on retainer nut 2159-16 is a real challenge to manual dexterity, thanks Steve
          Re-adjusted clutch and kicker has full engagement thru entire stroke. Rubone hit it on the head.
          I always have to remind myself that the solution to most problems are fairly simple and not get wrapped around the axle with complex solutions.
          Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X