Sleeving a VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeving a VL

I'm hoping someone on here knows or Steve weighs in, I need to sleeve one of my cylinders for my 32 VL and I can't find what or where to get a flanged sleeve to fit, I saw where Steve wrote on here he even uses the sleeve as the spigot. Any info is greatly appreciated in advance. Thank you.

Well, I don't do sleeving myself but leave it to the engine guy, and they all seem to have their favourite method. Some pin the sleeve, some use interference fit, some step the sleeve, and I don't argue with them. First thing to say is don't sleeve unless you really need to. I've successfully used +80 (new) pistons a few times which take a 3.52" bore, and +90 pistons are out there. The only motor I've had come back after overhaul was sleeved, and on one cylinder the cylinder spigot was thin enough to drop a metal flake into the cases when running, which never works out well. That's why I don't mind cutting off the spigot and forming the new (longer) sleeve into the same shape. I believe all my thoughts are already in previous posts, but fresh advice is always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      Well, I don't do sleeving myself but leave it to the engine guy, and they all seem to have their favourite method. Some pin the sleeve, some use interference fit, some step the sleeve, and I don't argue with them. First thing to say is don't sleeve unless you really need to. I've successfully used +80 (new) pistons a few times which take a 3.52" bore, and +90 pistons are out there. The only motor I've had come back after overhaul was sleeved, and on one cylinder the cylinder spigot was thin enough to drop a metal flake into the cases when running, which never works out well. That's why I don't mind cutting off the spigot and forming the new (longer) sleeve into the same shape. I believe all my thoughts are already in previous posts, but fresh advice is always welcome.
      Thanks Steve, I'm at .090 and someone dropped the jug on the spigot and cracked it. My problem is finding a sleeve to fit.

Comment

I've had one engine builder use diesel engine sleeves, which must be longer.

Comment

I've had one engine builder use diesel engine sleeves, which must be longer.
          Thanks, I will look into that.

Comment

Hi no6, I am not sure where you are, I assume the USA, but in the UK you can get a bespoke cylinder liner made to order. There are a couple of companies here who will do this so i imagine that you should be able to do the same where you are.

John

Comment

Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
              Hi no6, I am not sure where you are, I assume the USA, but in the UK you can get a bespoke cylinder liner made to order. There are a couple of companies here who will do this so i imagine that you should be able to do the same where you are.

John
              John, thanks, I'm in the US and I understand that LA Sleeve will custom make one.

Comment

I recommend you call Paul Friebus at American Cycle Fab in Bloomsburg, PA. He sleeves cylinders all the time and has each sleeve custom made for each cylinder by LA Sleeve. He bores it then sends them exact measurements of what he wants them to send him. He also modified his press to drive home the sleeve with one shot all the way. That way no cooling or reset to get it all the way. He does all old motors but knuckles, flatties including VL's and pans are his bread and butter. He also makes cams in house.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                  I recommend you call Paul Friebus at American Cycle Fab in Bloomsburg, PA. He sleeves cylinders all the time and has each sleeve custom made for each cylinder by LA Sleeve. He bores it then sends them exact measurements of what he wants them to send him. He also modified his press to drive home the sleeve with one shot all the way. That way no cooling or reset to get it all the way. He does all old motors but knuckles, flatties including VL's and pans are his bread and butter. He also makes cams in house.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA #12766
                  Thank you, my machinist has spoken with LA and they told him that they can make anything.

Comment

I'd also recommend Paul Friebus in Bloomsburg PA. He does a lot of old motors and turns them round quickly.

Comment

I'd also recommend Paul Friebus in Bloomsburg PA. He does a lot of old motors and turns them round quickly.
                      Thanks I appreciate the recommendation, my machinist is 10 minutes away, 72 years old and very very good, I have been using him for years and feel very comfortable with him but I appreciate all of the recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                      X