VLD Finish questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLD Finish questions

Just had my 34 VLD judged . I need help on a couple of finishes . The handelbar brake cable clamp , the Judges say it should painted black . Is this right ? Mine is parkerized , & they dinged me for it . The same with the footboards & speedo mounting bracket , mine are all parkerized and they say they should be painted black . Also got dinged for washers behind the nuts on the crankcase studs , they say there should not be any washers used there . Lastly when I started this restoration they were allowing stainless spokes & nipples ( as long as they where not shiney , mine are glass beaded ) , I got points off for those . When did this start ? Thank you for your help , more questions to come Mike

I have photos of an original paint 35 VLD, floorboards and speedo bracket are painted black.
    7752 case nuts have a flat side, no washer used.
    Having a bike judged can be frustrating, you need a ton of patience to do it else it is frustrating.

Comment

Dear Mike, nos 4160-28 cable clamps are black enamel. I'm more relaxed on footboard finish and would let them go park or black as long as both are the same. Speedo on a VL is an accessory so I might just note the bracket finish, but have seen them both park and black enamel and don't deduct. I put 0226 cad washers under the two 444-30 case bolts to save the metal. On the case studs, we know Harley didn't like exposed threads, and it seems to take one 0214 washer to avoid this. I put the washer on the side where I turn the nut and haven't lost judging points yet.

On spokes, it seems best available repro is not enough on restored bikes, and you lose points for shiny spokes or incorrectly shaped nipples. You have to break up a lot of original wheels to find a perfect set, and this is inconsistent with the general judging rules for restored bikes. I took this up with Don Dzurick at Oley and he said he will take it up with the Judging Committee, but they are pretty hard core on this and may not change soon.

Remember you 'only' need 95 points to get into Winners Circle, and the small stuff you've asked about will not stop you. Good luck next time.

Comment

Here you can see all the items in question. The only thing I can tell you is they look black. :-)
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Here is a factory photo that Chris Haynes had sent me and with a zoom of the brake cable clamp. It looks parkerized to me. I hope my photo post works.
          12843.jpg12843 (4).jpg

Comment

Nice picture but it could be a prototype mocked up for the early 1931 publicity pictures, and the clip could still be painted from looking at the photo. Note the 1930 shifter lever with the solid knob, and the later 1930/1931 brake cable oiler discussed elsewhere on this forum, plus the first 1931 carburettor intake cap later fitted with a flame arrester, and then replaced with the two piece 1406-31 and one piece 1406-31A air intakes.

I'm thinking Harley used un-oiled parkerizing as a cheap primer for parts soon to be painted or dipped in black enamel. This may explain why some parts are seen both ways.

Comment

Working...
            X