Fusing my 1935 VL / and motor oil type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusing my 1935 VL / and motor oil type

My original project bike had no wiring at all. I purchased a new harness and wired it up. I have installed an in line fuse to protect the system. My question is what would be a proper amperage on the fuse for this system. I also had a second question. Since this year bike has a total loss oil system what type of motor oil should be used.

Others may differ but I would think a 15amp fuse should be sufficient and I use HD 60 wt. oil. HD shop is close to my house and prices competitive with auto parts shops and formulated for air cooled engines. You are going to get all sorts of opinions ( see the endless oil debate threads) on oil but I have been using Valvoline or HD for 40 plus years with no issues. Bottom line is use a quality product and since it is a total loss system you always have fresh clean oil in the motor.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Thanks a lot Tom

Comment

I also would think a 15 amp fuse would be where I would be at. But I am not going there when it comes to the oil debate.
        Jim D

Comment

Thanks Jim, I guess I will have to look into the debate thing on the oil question.

Comment

I put a relay on negative side of battery wire. On negative side if it touches box no big deal.Works very well. I'm sure I bought it at NAPA. No dealing with carrying fuses.

Comment

I use She'll Aero W 120 and won't use anything else. Equivalent to sae 60. Keeps its viscosity with the high heat of a VL motor and is a reasonable price in Australia. Probably dirt cheap over there. You should be able to pick it up from any light aircraft airfield.
              Last edited by downunder vl; 05-03-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X