VL dash mounting hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL dash mounting hardware

Can anyone tell me if (2) 020 ( 8-32 X 1/4 fillister head ) , (1) 021 ( 8-32X 3/8 fillster head ) with 0252 lockwashers all cad plated is correct ? Thank you , Mike

On the 4 I've done I use (1) 032 (10-24 x 5/8 fillister head) for bracket to switch panel and (2) 018 (8-32 x 1/4" round head) switch cover screws with 0252 LW and all in cad. I don't use a 0252 under the 032.
    This according to the parts book, Steve Slocombes book and many archived photos I've collected of both original and very correct high point bikes.
    Buy Steve's book and price list (at the very least) Pretty much essential if you're planning a correct VL. Good luck with it, its very fulfilling.
    www.aclmotorcyclecollection.com

Comment

Thanks for the nice words. I think it's another mistake in the Harley parts books where it calls for fillister heads but original bikes have round head screws. This is the two screws either side of the dash panel which are 018 rather than 020, same as the horn button fixings which is a well known error in the parts books. Same for the mudflap fixing screws on the VL and I'm thinking the crankpin lock fixing screws too.

Comment

Steve, I'm a bit confused.
        I do not have your book with me at this time but there are 2 pages with pix and verbage stating fillister head screws are used on horn.
        If your comments are correct, I will update my copy

Comment

Thank you all for your input . Yes Bob , I have Steves book ,three of them to be exact ( editions 2,3 &4 ) , coulden't have built my '34 VLD with out them ( & him , always bugging him with emails , Steve always replies . Thanks Steve ) . I highly recomend it . I've mostly been relying on the # 4 edition . On the dash photo it has a 021 on the bottom with a 0104 nut . And 020 screw with 0253 LW on the sides . No big deal I will update my book . Just had it juged at the Sunshine meet & they dinged me for this . Still got a Junior first ( 94 1/2 points ) . I will be posting other threads withe questions on my deductions ( trying to get it the best I can ) . Thanks to all , Mike

Comment

Mike, I have a edition 5 and I see the same picture. Go with the change. Excellent result on your 34! I am in the middle of a 34 VLD myself, just about to finish a 36 VLH and starting into a 30V. The first two are intended for judging one day so I know the effort and desire to get it right.

Comment

Since we are the topic of VL screws. What kind of screw heads were used for the 3 horn cover screws and the 4 mounting horn to tool box screws for an early 1931VL?

Comment

The 4 mounting screws same for 31 - 36 are 037A or 10-32 USF 5/8" round head in Cad use 10-32 USF x 1/8" x 3/8" nut in Cad with 0254 LW.
                The 2 short screws (one being through the horn face) are 035 and the 4 long screws (two being through the horn face) are 039. They are round head and slotted for 31 and 32 and became coach screws after that (all in Cad). Same nuts and LW as above. This according to our mentor Steve S on page 19-9 of his book. Also, I have some amazing re digitized insurance photos of a 31 VL somewhat crunched. These are taken in the early 30s. Clearly you can see the horn face screws are slotted. I would love to attach but they are over 5MB each and not sure if that will fly.

Comment

Bob,

Aren't the 035 & 039 screws slotted fillister head rather than round head? The pic on page 143 of Steve's 5th edition shows this as does 'Table 3 - Standard Fixings' and his parts list.

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one seeking clarification

Comment

Peter is correct. My error, my apologies. These fillister being only for 31 & 32 and coach style after that (bugger to find those coach)
                      Of interest these insurance claim photos I mentioned from very early 30s showing a 31 VL very clearly have a slotted round head 035 and 039.
                      Even more frustrating as they appear to be parkerized. Greg if your goal is correctness for judging then hopefully a senior judge like Steve will pipe in for your peace of mind. I fuss over those details endlessly. I would go with as per table 3 in Cad. Thanks for catching that Peter.

Comment

Coach bolts are called Carraige bolts in the US and are available in many small sizes and lengths. Fastenal has them.
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

"Coach bolts are called Carraige bolts"
                          thanks for that tidbit Robbie, i was stumped and about to google that one.

Comment

Wow guys! I'm just back from judging at Oley so in the mood for some rivet-counting. I'm sure about the round head 018 screws on the dash sides, the horn and dip switches, and the round heads on the front mudguard flap. These are mistakes in the Harley parts books. The dash support bracket screw can't be 021 because that is No 8 while 0104 is a No 10 nut. This remains uncorrected in the 25th anniversary re-revised fifth edition with notes of my VL book. I usually put in a parkerised round head No 10 screw but am still not 100% certain because even unrestored bikes are likely to have this screw missing. Decide or find fresh info and I'll put a revision on my Website. Judges shouldn't be deducting on this yet.

The horn front screws are slotted 1930/31 based on the Harley factory archive bikes, then coach bolts after and the parts books didn't keep up. This must be because it was a Remy horn and Harley guessed the nearest equivalent. Note later Remy horns have UNC coach screws and nuts and this is also missed in the Harley parts books eg for WLA/WLC. Harley also says the nuts are the brass 0105 5/16" AF, while we usually see the steel 0105A nuts 3/8" AF. For the later UNC nuts these go back to 5/16" AF but in steel and thicker than 0105. There is no exact Harley equivalent and it does not get a special part number.

Another example is the 1931-34 Motolamp mounting nut, which I reckon is 11/16" AF if you are ever lucky enough to see one. Harley called it 0133 in the parts books which is the nearest size (5/8" AF) standard nut they had with the same thread. This evolves to the longer 0134 for the Cycleray. Go figure, but don't be overzealous about making points deductions in the meantime.
                            Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 05-01-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X