37 U lean AND rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 U lean AND rich

After a 20 year rest, I brought the 37 U back to life. It was my fathers machine, and he had taken the tins off to repaint and then, got another bike that intrested him more and never finished the 37.

The 37 has new points/ condensor, battery,carb maticulously done up by Dad, durable float,new 386 plugs,intake manifold seals disassembled, cleaned, anti-sieze threads,reinstalled, leak checked, new carb to manifold gasket, and timing set to full advance showing the mark in the center.

Starts easily, and when the engine warms and choke is off, the low speed needle can be adjusted so the front cyl runs smoothly, and the rear chugs and only fires every eight or so turns, (like an old hit-or-miss),,,,
    OR- turn the needle IN and the front cylinder pops and skips while the rear cylinder runs smooth.

I checked the rear cylinders valve adjustment and found them ok, then ckd the front, and the intake had clearance but it was less than .006, so now its set correctly.

After that last adjustment, the mixture screw was readjusted untill the front cyl stopped poping, and the rear did continue to run without seeming too rich, but 2 clicks in and front pops, 2 clicks out and rear blubbers....

Then the cold beer started tasting real good and the tools got wiped down and hung up for the day.

At this point, I am not sure what I will do to help the old gal idle any better, so I am open to sugesstions and am calling on the wisdom of any and all who are graciously interested in giving me advice.
    Steve C
    Last edited by 3_7/16bore; 04-15-2017, 09:06 PM.

Sounds like you have some intake air leakage going on. Time to pressure test the system. Do a search on here for Bubble test and you'll get lots of info.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I know Rubone, thats why I pressure tested yesterday..

Showed up a small bubble trail that was corrected....
      So whats next?
      Compression gage showed 60 on the rear and 70 on the front. Not the compression numbers I am used to seeing but maybe someone who has seen more harly model U compression results can comment ....maybe something like,,, 'oh yeah, when a intake valve leaks a little, it'll realy throw yer mixture off'... or something like that
      Steve C

Comment

Steve!

We cannot bubble-test the seam between manifold and carburetor, nor trust a gasket to cure all, so I arbitrarily grind all manifold flanges, and lathe-cut the carb's flange.
        (They are nearly all distorted, as shown in the attachment where the last area to "clean up" with a lathe cut is nearly always at the gallery plug. The gallery bulge on the casting stiffens that region of the flange, holding it back, while the rest is pulled by fastener stress. Ironically, the manifold flange is often a mirror image.)
        Throttleshaft bushing clearance is another source of air, but frankly, one would think it would affect the cylinders nearly the same, evil vacuum leaks never obey the rules.

You might also try kicking it through to where the intakes open, and then snooping with bubbles around the sparkplugs and headgaskets.

....Cotten
        PS: I have just been alerted by a customer of an interference with the top throttlebushing and the top manifold screw.
        It turns out that Colony's weren't a bargain over Greer's (on far left) after all....
        Curious the identification is for JDs only when there were negligeable differences in thickness for carb or manifold flanges from HX era through the Linkert era!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-16-2017, 03:34 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks for the great tips cotten,
          I had time to do a second pressure bubble test and I applied suds all over the place as I wanted to look,,, A tiny bit around the rear spark plug showed up.
          But this time I had a younger helper with me and he said he could hear something… And it was coming out here

Comment

So are my valve guides so worn out that it's leaking there or do I have to tighten up the valve covers with new packing
            Last edited by 3_7/16bore; 04-27-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3_7/16bore View Post
              Show are my valve guides so worn out that it's leaking there or do I have to tighten up the valve covers with new packing
              Steve!

Flatty valve guide clearances can pass plenty of air.
              If oil isn't making a mess, I wouldn't worry about the covers.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X