Rear chain conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear chain conversion

Has any one converted a 45, rear chain, over from Standard #50 to "O" or "X" ring sealed #520 chain? If so, did you find 520 sprockets or did you machine down existing standard sprockets?

Oldsport

Is a 530 too wide?

Comment

Harley has always used a final drive standard #50 roller chain. It is .370 inside width (sprocket fit) #520 is .265 inside. I have never heard of a chain size 530.

Oldsport

Comment

Originally posted by oldsport View Post
        Harley has always used a final drive standard #50 roller chain. It is .370 inside width (sprocket fit) #520 is .265 inside. I have never heard of a chain size 530.

Oldsport
        530 is the metric conversion for a #50 chain. It has the same measurements as the #50 chain. 530XLO is the O-Ring version.

Comment

530 O-ring chain is way too big to fit in the sprocket cover of a 45. Even stock 50/530 barely fits. And there are no sprockets available for a narrower size conversion.
          Last edited by Rubone; 04-15-2017, 08:03 AM.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have no idea what size chain a 45 takes, I was simply giving him the conversion and also this conversion chart link. Good luck and stay away from cheap from Tractor Supply chain.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...W1lahMgwF_jqWg
            Last edited by ryan; 04-14-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

According to your chart, the #530 chain would be going in the wrong direction. The #520 roller chain is more narrow than #50 and has the same pitch and roller diameter. It would fit inside a 45 sprocket cover if the sprocket teeth were machined down from 23/64 to 1/4" wide. I was just wondering if any one had experience doing this conversion.

And yes, I agree with you Ryan, don't use generic industrial machinery roller chain.

Oldsport

Comment

Yes the wrong direction as in width for an o-ring chain, but as far as a non o-ring chain, a 530 is a direct replacement for a #50 chain.

As far as machining a sprocket down, that should not be an issue as long as the same amount came off of both sides. Do they really run that bad with a non o-ring chain?

Comment

My main reason for considering sealed roller chain is due to the fact that I have a very nice and expensive set of Coker white wall tires on this 1940 WLD 45. and I wish to reduce, as much as possible the chain lube mess. And of course, the sprocket and chain must fit in under, the transmission sprocket cover.
                  Yes, should I decide to do this operation, I would be removing approximately .053 off each side of the sprockets teeth, both drive and driven.

I converted my Old 1981 Sportster to belt drive many years ago. Back before Harley put them on Sportsters. It was not easy but it works like a charm, runs smoother, quieter and no chain lube mess. I have since installed genuine Sportster belt and sprockets on it. After a few modifications, they fit just fine.

Oldsport

Comment

Although not a WLD, I put a 530 oring chain on my 1956 Servicar about 15 years ago with no clearance problem. Still works fine. Don't remeber what kind, but it was the lowest tensile rating. The way I figure out if a specific size oring chain will. work without buying a whole chain is just buy a master link for that size chain, assemble it, and see if it will clear all the way around the sprocket. Their is a significant difference in plate size for different tensile strength ratings. Hope you have better luck with the Cokers than I have had, mine have never lasted long.

Comment

I measured the pin width of my diamond 530XLO master link and it is .975" The chain itself pin width is .920"

Ryan

Comment

Thanks for checking Ryan

The pin width of #520 o-ring chain is .079 as apposed to standard #50 pin width of .080 they are virtually the same except #50 uses 3/8" sprocket and #520 uses 1/4" sprocket.
                        The #530 X-ring chain does fit the stock 3/8" sprocket but it is too wide to fit under the drive sprocket cover. That is why I am looking at #520 chain.

Oldsport

Comment

Originally posted by oldsport View Post
                          Thanks for checking Ryan

The pin width of #520 o-ring chain is .079 as apposed to standard #50 pin width of .080 they are virtually the same except #50 uses 3/8" sprocket and #520 uses 1/4" sprocket.
                          The #530 X-ring chain does fit the stock 3/8" sprocket but it is too wide to fit under the drive sprocket cover. That is why I am looking at #520 chain.

Oldsport
                          I was talking about the total width of the 530XLO chain, not the diameter of the pin. Are you sure you did mean .800"? The pin diameter is .200" on the 530 chain.
                          Last edited by ryan; 04-15-2017, 09:57 PM. Reason: Added a measurement

Comment

Correction, yes that was supposed to be .790 & .800

Comment

I got hold of a #520 o-ring master link. The pin length is .819. The standard#50 master link pin length is .855. The #520 should fit under the sprocket cover just fine with a little room to spare.

Oldsport

Comment

Working...
                              X