clutch foot lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch foot lever

Is there an ideal friction disk setting for the 1940 clutch foot lever or is it simply adjust to taste?

Well, Oldsport,

I know my reply will p*ss off some folks, but the friction disc was for fording streams by getting off and pushing with it partially engaged, or kicking it out when dodging cowpies.
    On the street, anyone who has a stiff clutch only loses feel for it, leading to jerky launches.

Loosen it up to where it pulls itself into gear freely; Just learn to get into neutral before you roll to a stop.

When I thought I should stiffen the dampener for my wife, she immediately told me how stupid that was.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

My preference is, that the pedal will stay in the disengaged position. In other words; I don't want to worry that the clutch could vibrate out of the disengaged position. Of course, I always put the trans in neutral when I come to a stop, but I don't want a pseudo "suicide" clutch when I'm shifting, or finessing the clutch at slow speeds. I've ridden Indians with a sloppy friction pedal and it makes you have to think about your foot action, instead of it being intuitive (if that makes sense).

On my '40 Chief, I set the foot clutch up like a Harley because I just didn't want to be bi-cyctual Right hand shifting didn't bother me, but I couldn't get used to an opposite clutch pedal.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Thank you Cotten for the quick reply. I do appreciate your analogy, therefor I shall adjust to suit.

Oldsport

Comment

Thanks Eric, I shall also feed that input into my data base.

Oldsport

Comment

But Eric!

Trusting that pedal to stay dis-engaged is the true meaning of a "suicide clutch".
            Anyone sitting stopped with the pedal in the air is subject to find themselves launched into a busy intersection.

The whole reason H-Ds had a secondary spring at the pedal was to assist it in the dis-engaged position. The problem is that the bushings, shafts, and the like wear easily to where they cannot be trusted.

So don't.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Engaged is the transfer of power from the motor to the transmission; disengaged is the interruption of power from the motor to the transmission. I want to know that power is disengaged. A suicide clutch is always engaged under spring pressure, and only disengaged by consistent force of muscle and will. As my wife says, the only thing keeping the car in the opposite lane from driving head-on into you is the will of the driver. As long as I have my will, I believe I have control.

Where I put the most emphasis on a clutch pedal "feel" is when I'm in a congested, slow, unpredictable environment; like a supermarket parking lot, or a Daytona, Sturgis clusterfu*k (which I avoid like the plague). Bottom line. . . Set it the way you want it.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Good grief, Eric!

Ever drive a car with a stick and a clutch?
                Did you call that "suicide"?

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Come on, Tom, a car, or sidecar is a totally different animal because you don't have to be concerned about staying upright. This whole thread is a non issue because clutch pedal resistance (or lack of) is strictly rider preference.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, dear Eric,

If you can't stay upright on a two-wheel'd machine, don't get on it.

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Nonsense answer, Tom.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

What was it put there for then Tom?
                        I'm sure that any manufacturer who could save money by leaving unnecessary fitments off their bikes would do so, Harley included.
                        I've ridden foot clutch Harleys for over 55 years now and refuse to ride one if the clutch releases without the assistance of your foot.
                        My preference but I'm with Eric on this one.
                        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                        A.M.C.A. # 2777
                        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Common sense Folks!

These machines were originally designed when roads were cowpaths and mud bogs.

Today, we spend most of our time on pavement, so release it for comfort if nothing else.
                          Your clutch will last longer, and if you are carrying a passenger on a 'buddy seat', your ankle won't cramp from sitting forward, because you can merely toe down on the heel pad.

If you get in trouble, pop the shift knob with your palm between gears.

Not nonsense at all.

....Cotten
                          PS: Passengers are why I got into motorcycles.
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-14-2017, 08:09 AM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Sorry guys, I did not mean to start a family feud. I do however, appreciate hearing both sides of the argument, that is the only way one can form an educated opinion.

I thank you all for your time and efforts.

Oldsport

Comment

Working...
                            X