'38 UL speedo cable clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '38 UL speedo cable clip

I was looking through old posts relating to this subject, and found one from 2001 that was never answered. This fellow had the same problem I now have. Palmer says the speedo cable clip for '37 and '38 UL is the same as the OHV one that you see on all 40's knuckles and 50's panheads. He mentions using a longer upper crankcase stud to accommodate both the clip and the carb support bracket, with a hex nut in between the carb bracket and the speedo clip. My question is, if that's the case, what are the two lugs that are cast into the motor case for? I thought that was to orient the speedo cable clip, but if it's assembled as stated above, the clip doesn't even come close to the two lugs. And what about the crankcase stud length? Is there a different length for this stud for side valve versus OHV cases? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The bracket has an "L" shaped inner leg and with the inner nut in place the "L" locates between the cast in lugs.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

OK, but what about the stud length? The one in my motor is 5-1/2" long (scale measurement). Right now I have the carb bracket installed with a hex nut on either side of the case, and I've run out of thread on the stud to install anything else.
      Last edited by Omarttentmaker; 03-13-2017, 07:21 AM. Reason: more information

Comment

6" should do it, check your case studs, you may have two swapped.

Comment

Yeah, I checked the top case stud, and it's too short to begin with (5.06"). Supposed to be 5.437", and Palmer says you can use a later top OHV case stud (5.87"). I got a small collection of later studs, one of which I will alter (judges, please stop reading here!). Thanks for the insight!

Comment

Working...
          X