• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WL frame

Hello,
    I'm Danny and new in the Forum.
    Have a Question.
    I have a 47 WL frame. But there are missing some brackets, like the three hole clutch cable bracket, the bracket under the seat post and the tank mounting bracket.
    Do anybody know where I can get them?
    Thank you in advance.

Danny

Dear Danny, have you checked the headstock forging die numbers against Bruce Palmer's book to make sure it really is a 1947 frame?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      Dear Danny, have you checked the headstock forging die numbers against Bruce Palmer's book to make sure it really is a 1947 frame?
      Hi Steve,
      yes it's 14

Comment

Dear Danny, Palmer shows the die number 14 also used in 1945 and 1946, with 1947 being the first year for the three hole clutch cable bracket. So one explanation would be that your frame is from 1945 or 1946.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
          Dear Danny, Palmer shows the die number 14 also used in 1945 and 1946, with 1947 being the first year for the three hole clutch cable bracket. So one explanation would be that your frame is from 1945 or 1946.
          Dear Steve,
          the Motor is 47WLXXX.
          My Question was, where I can get a weld on spare to weld it on, cause there is no more bracket on the frame.
          The 14 was also used in early 47.
          so I need a three hole weld on bracket.

Danny

Comment

Dear Danny, are you planning to put the bike in for judging? If you believe the motor came with that particular frame then I would sit tight. It's original bikes that tell the story, not books, and it would be a harsh judge to DQ the bike based on a few months difference in die numbers.

Comment

I hope there are more than three digits after the WL in that number....
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                I hope there are more than three digits after the WL in that number....
                Why don't anybody answer on my real question.....

@ rubone
                5 digits

Comment

Dear Danny, maybe because none of us like to see original bikes altered unnecessarily. I don't think any of the parts you want are available as spares, so you're looking for another original frame to cut up. Here in Europe we see many WLA/WLC/WLH/WL models where the frames and motors have been mixed and matched over the years but they still go down the road the same. We also have WLs with blank cases where nos factory spare items have been put into service (the title goes with the frame here). The WL has been a first Harley for many in our hobby, but getting one judged these days is hard work as the knowledge base has improved so much over recent years. If you're not having your bike judged then I'd do nothing and have fun. If you want to build a judged bike, then you're looking for a new frame or new engine cases, and breaking up a machine that may have had its parts in formation for the last fifty years.

Comment

Seat mounts are easily available from most suppliers for WL frames. The cable bracket is easy to make, just flat plate. Don't know what you mean by the bracket under the seat post without pictures.
                    And no factory 47WL has a 5 digit number....
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Dear Robone,
                      you are right.I confound the motor numbers from my WLA and my WL.
                      My WL has the number 47 WL 149x.I have also matching bellys wit 47-.The motorcycle came from Minnesota with a title in parts.
                      The WLA has the number 42 WLA 41xxx where I building a Type IV WLA.
                      I attached a photo from Palmer and from my frameIMG_2317.jpgIMG_2142.jpg
                      Thank you for help
                      Danny

Comment

Dear Danny, there were 3338 WLs built in 1947 and yours is a really early one, number 490 -ish. We know from the 1938 factory tour brochure that Harley kept large stocks of intermediate components, and they had just finished building perhaps 88,000 small twins for the military. I can't believe the factory checked the headstock die numbers before assembling bikes so, even though it came in parts, it could be original and I'll stay with the 'do nothing' recommendation.

Comment

I don't see a third trans bolt mount on that frame,is it a 2 bolt with the neck replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                            I don't see a third trans bolt mount on that frame,is it a 2 bolt with the neck replaced?
                            Dear duffeycycles,
                            it' a triangular plate.
                            The third hole is not visible on this picture, it's behind the seatpost tube.

Danny

Comment

oh sorry, you meant the trans bolt mount.
                              I think you are right, the frame is is a peace of sh...
                              Sorry.
                              Thank you
                              Danny

Comment

Working...
                              X