Footboard rivits - rivet tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footboard rivits - rivet tool?

Can anyone show me what a properly splayed foot-board rivet looks like and the tool to finish it? The rivets themselves are not like anything I've seen before, sort of like the tail of a dragon-fly. Thanks for your help!
    DSC02663.jpg
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    2019 KTM 300 XCW

Those are split rivets, similar to what harley used, start with a small chisel, then a large chisel, then pliers to flatten.

Comment

Thanks, I'll sharpen a couple of chisels and give it a go!
      1936 VLD in process
      1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
      1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
      2006 KTM 950 Adventure
      2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Dull might be better.
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Like Mark, and 50pan said, a real dull chisel. You just want to splay the split rivet enough so you can use a drift to flatten out the tines, or fingers, or ears, or. . . whatever they're called. You don't need to use a lot of force on the rivet as that will pucker your footboard mat. . . . And you dang sure don't want a puckered mat
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

If you look closely at how it was originally done, or especially if you've removed some original rivets, you see that the tails of the split rivet are actually rolled back onto themselves somewhat- if that makes sense. They're not simply split and widened and laid down flat.
            I try to envision a tool that would force the tails to roll that way, but still working it out in my mind. I'm sure everyone uses a screwdriver and/or a chisel, because after all, no-one is going to look under your footboards, right? Right?
            Still, I'd like to come up with a way to achieve that 'curled under' look of the rivet tails when finished. I'll be doing my own footboards coming up in a few months.
            I can see Eric's method working well, perhaps if the drift is concave on the business end. Yep, I can see that...
            Last edited by Rooster; 03-03-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
              If you look closely at how it was originally done, or especially if you've removed some original rivets, you see that the tails of the split rivet are actually rolled back onto themselves somewhat- if that makes sense. They're not simply split and widened and laid down flat.
              I try to envision a tool that would force the tails to roll that way, but still working it out in my mind. I'm sure everyone uses a screwdriver and/or a chisel, because after all, no-one is going to look under your footboards, right? Right?
              Still, I'd like to come up with a way to achieve that 'curled under' look of the rivet tails when finished. I'll be doing my own footboards coming up in a few months.
              I can see Eric's method working well, perhaps if the drift is concave on the business end. Yep, I can see that...
              Does this look like what you mean
              http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts216.htm

Comment

Looks easy enough to make.
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I've had one for years made out of a piece of oil hardening drill rod. My sister is a jeweler and I used to help her make lots of stamping tools with drill rod and old valve stems so used a bunch of it to make specialty punches for myself.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rooster, and WebKahuna. I have to do the riveting on a pair of footboard soon and I'll make that tool. Again, THANKS.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by WebKahuna View Post
                      Does this look like what you mean
                      http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts216.htm
                      Yep, you nailed it. Thanks for the link and the photos.

Comment

Working...
                      X