Correct 30vl headlight/toolbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct 30vl headlight/toolbox

When I obtained my 30vl it had a single headlight and oval toolbox. At the time, I had no reason to believe that it was incorrect, until many references showed the 29 style dual headlights and round toolbox...and now....
    After reading the post on 30 31 brake cables, and learning that changes took place mid year on some parts, I now wonder if my 30 was BUILT with a single headlight and 31 style toolbox. My serial number is in the 30v54xx range.
    So my question here is; did the motor company strictly build 30's with dual headlights?

As far as I know all the 1929 JDs and 1930 VLs came with the dual headlights. It was soon found that accidents occurred when the lights were confused with a distant car rather than a close-up bike, and they probably became illegal in some States. The '31 flat lens Motolamp superseded the dual Solar lamps. Harley briefly introduced a lamp bracket to mount the single Motolamp on the twin headlamp triple clamp. Many 1930 triple clamps had the ears sawn off as single headlamps were fitted. Your toolbox could easily be a later update, or replacement after a spill. Your bike would have been built with the two piece valve covers, often replaced, as are the one-year 1930 rocker studs. The early 1930 forks with screw-in bushings and the unreinforced springer fork could also have been replaced. Don't panic unless you're putting your bike in for judging, they still go down the road as an exhilarating bike to ride.

Comment

Working...
    X