1934 VLD identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 VLD identity

A 1934 VLD has just surfaced here in NZ and I've been asked about its engine number and what the D following the number means and I cannot answer the new owners query.
    The engine number is 34 VLD 75** D and the belly number ends in -34 so my take is a 1934 Special Sport Solo with a high-com. 74 cu in motor but what does the D at the end signify.
    I don't have a photo of the numbers but have viewed them and am 100% sure they are factory applied letters and numerals.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Dear Tommo, I have seen a similar engine years ago at Davenport with a very high engine number, in the 8000+ series, and was told there was one more. My take is that they were a couple of try-outs for the 1935VLDD, the first 80 cubic inch flathead, with just 179 built for the 1935 season, of which nine survive in the VL Register. These bikes are special as they have the seven bolt cylinders, gas flow relieved at the top like the 1936VLH, with the stroker 80 cubic inch flywheels and spacer plates under the cylinders. They would also have a 1 1/8" carb venturi I expect. They would have been built at the very end of the long 1934 season, so I would expect high engine and belly numbers. I'm sure we'd all like to see the engine numbers, cylinders, flywheels, relieving, spacer plates, carb etc before getting too worked up. I've previously kept quiet about VLDD engine numbers as the fakers are getting more skilled, but Harley usually spaced the engine numbers so there is not room to stamp a D at the end of a regular VLD number.

Comment

Steve,
      The new owner doesn't want to publish photos on the net but I'm trying to change his mind. Time will tell.
      I do have a 1935 VLDD that has -35 belly numbers and VLD 72** D engine number so I was aware of these bikes but did not realise they existed in 1934.
      The crankcase casting number on the 1934 bike is interesting as well 112-80H.
      Your thoughts on that number would be appreciated.
      Last edited by Tommo; 11-13-2016, 02:19 PM. Reason: clarification of a sentence
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

VLDD are 80" engines, most are 1935, however a 34 VLDD was seen a davenport a few years ago.

Comment

Dear Tommo, the VLDD and VLH used the stock engine cases, so I'm guessing they are 112-30H like the others.

Comment

Working...
          X