1930-31 VL Brake Control Oiler Coupling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930-31 VL Brake Control Oiler Coupling

I've just learned that the front brake control cable oiler coupling for a 1930-31 Harley is different from the 1932-38 style. I need one for my 1931 VL but I don't know what it looks like. Does anyone have a picture or have one that they could sell? Thanks !

Colony kit 9004-2 or 2820-2.

Comment

Peter, Thank you for your reply and help. Although Colony states those oilers are for 1930-38 Harley, they are not the style that was actually used during 1930-31.

I'm hoping Steve Slocombe will jump in and shed some light on this.

Comment

hdcage313.jpg

I think Colony is half right in that the oiler is 30 & 31 but the spring steel clip is for the later models. 30 & 31 apparently used an oiler nipple instead of the clip.

From Steve's book "The only change in the 1930 to 36 range was the introduction of the oil hole cover for the control coil coupling in late 1932. Later 1930 & 31 models have a similar part but with an oiler nipple instead of the clip".

And if I've attached it correctly you should see a picture of same on the 31 VL the factory has in storage.

As always, I'm happy to stand corrected!

Comment

Wow, you guys are really getting into it! 1932 up is the Colony part, and 'first 1930' used the bare nickel control coil with no oiler at the top end or felt washer carrier at the bottom. The later 1930 to end 1931 set-up had the felt at the bottom to stop rain getting into the inner wire, plus the early oiler at the top. The oiler is made of brass with a button oil fitting and is flat nickel or cadmium plated. They are pretty much unobtainium now, and I don't deduct when judging for the Colony item on 1930/31 restored bikes.

Comment

Steve, Thank you. Would you have a picture of the 1931 oiler? I'd love to see it. Thanks again!

Comment

Harleytoprock, Apologies for the confusion. Without going and looking at my part I had it in my head that the Colony coupling was the same as the earlier one which was why I was suggesting they had it half right. Now that I've actually gone and looked I see it is different so understand what you were saying. Assuming the photo attaches ok what you see is what came on my 31V. Both bits made of brass and recently re Cad plated. The only place I've seen another one is on the photo of the factory archived 31VL.

Hope this helps with your quest.

Last edited by Peter Cooke; 11-11-2016, 11:03 PM. Reason: Included 2nd photo

Comment

Peter, Thank you so very much! You made my day! For today's project I'm going to machine a coupling. Could you help on some oiler fitting measurements? The thread diameter, hex width and height of fitting when installed in coupling would be a big help. Thank you again, your kind help is truly appreciated!

Comment

Here you go,

Coupling:
                  Overall length = 2". Hex = 7/16" AF x 5/8" long. OD either side of hex = 0.420" x 11/16" long.

Oiler:
                  Hex = 5/16" AF x 0.086" long. Thread = OD 0.280" x 30 TPI, 9/64" long. Installed height above mating surface is 0.235".

Good luck!

Comment

Hello Peter, Perfect! You have been a tremendous help! I'll post a picture when my cad plating is done. Thank you for your kind time!

Comment

001.jpgThanks to Peter Cooke's help I was able to make the early oiler. Here it is back from the plating shop:

Comment

Perfecto!

Excellent job. Well done.

Comment

For all you 1931 VL guys, there was a one year air intake 1406-31 with a cast aluminium front and a metal tube in the back. You can see it in an early Owner's Handbook. It was superseded by the one piece 1406-31A and the parts books were altered to show it fitted 1931. I have one original front cast section and 14 unfinished cast sections for a hard core restorer wanting to start a little business.

Comment

Working...
                          X