Can this 45 springer be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this 45 springer be saved?

One of the legs on the rigid fork is fatter than the other and the lower tree where the legs passes through is canted slightly up. There doesn't appear to be any cracks or crack repairs visible. My question is, is this run-able or, repairable? The overall length of each leg is equal so it makes me think it came from the HD factory like this.

P1020882.jpgP1020883.jpg

I've started looking for a aftermarket replacement in case this is bad and like the ones on Flatland Motorcycle Company's website.

http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany...-Prodview.html

If anyone has any experience with this product please give my an opinion. The fork is from a 54 servi-car.

Tracerbob!

Have you 'eyeballed' it like the Factory?

With the inspection rods centered, measuring from the ends of one rod to the other will give an indication of "square", and measuring down to the table will give an indication of "skew".

They are usually quite friendly to straighten, with a bit of patience and resourcefullness.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-29-2016, 12:48 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Fat lower legs are often water frozen inside. Over time becomes pure rust with an outer shell..beware of this.I've seen it many times in iowa

Comment

Yes, there is a slight tweak to the fork. No way to really measure the amount right now but I do know with the right setup it's an easy fix. Yes, I have thought that the leg may have been frozen but that doesn't explain the the misalignment of the lower tree. I should post a better picture of that.

I'm wondering now if this rigid fork part could be a cheap reproduction from india but on the other hand the brazing and welding look good. The front legs are in really good condition with a casting number of TC-20TF OL 3.

Comment

Tracerbob!

I have no experience with the repops, but..
          I have beaten back to "round" and silver-soldered legs that have positively 'exploded' from freezing, and rode them for decades myself, even with a sidehack load.

The legs are reputedly 'chrome-moly', very rust resistant, and my experience suggests that's true.

Harley's wonderful springforks contributed heavily to their golden age legend.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-29-2016, 04:28 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
          X