Stuck in 2nd ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in 2nd ?

1934 vld , Bikes ben sitting a long time, put the motor sprocket , clutch hub and primary chain on it, ben letting cylinders soak with some marvels and a few squirt of more oil , bike will kick through but seems stuck in 2nd gear, foot clutch will move trans arm into selector notch on top of trans but hand tank shift won't move the selector or - shift tower lever any ideas ? I did assemble foot rocker ( any chance i did it wrong )? Maybe stuck fork.? I haven't opened transtop yet, hoping not to rebuild it just yet. ( clutch hub spins when i kick ( but can't shift out of 2nd . any ideas ? Would a re adjustment on clutch help ? Thank you.

Nice bike. You need to push down on the rear of the clutch pedal and take the transmission arm OUT of the selector notch before you can use the tank shifter to change gears.

Comment

Hello, thank you for your reply i have tried with pedal down out of selector and still is stuck, tank shift rod where bolted to lever top of shift tower wont move tower. I'm trying to avoid at this time taking out trans and rebuilding just want to get it to shift through the gears i may need to rebuild later, i never had this trans out or apart. Don't know whats under the top cover or if anything can be cleaned and loosen willing to give a try. Should i try that , is there any spring or clip that i need to watch for not loose if i take trans top off? Think i can un stick it that way top off soaking a light tap on anything maybe? Thanks

Comment

Plunger could be stuck or the shift fork on its shaft. You probably don't have to rebuild the trans or even take it out of the frame. Remove the shift linkage between the trans top and the shaft to the shift lever, the battery box, etc. If none of the linkage is seized, then take the trans top off to investigate if it's something in the lid or the slider gear fork on its shaft.
        Hour or two tops.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hi, thanks for the tip, I'm gonna get right to it. This is new to me and wanted all the l tips i could get before i got too deep into somethin or took somethin apart i didn't need to , thank you

Comment

Mark thanks for info, fork plunger, sliding gear fork n shaft are stuck shaft ends crudd n rust gonna clean and try to get everything moving also making a list of Parts for a later rebuild notced a slight bend in main shaft , don't know about the bend in shaft maybe. A lot of hard ridding but my guess about fork and shaft low or no oil getting splashed around gear box things just rusted a bit ? Thanks again for suggestions

Comment

Spray all the joints with Kroil to help loosen things up,
              www.kanolabs.com
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Wow that kroil is the good stuff ! ! , un stuck that gear box in no time, worn low spot and Rough spots on ends of fork shaft where rust was but it's un stuck and sliding free now. Made my list for gear box re build at a later date . Heck might even do the race of gentlemen next year thanks all for The tips, suggestion and comforting words of encourage ment.

Comment

Working...
                X