WR Brass Manifold Dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WR Brass Manifold Dating

Does anyone know when the brass WR manifold was produced and for how long. I have heard it was around 1940, but I would like to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about. And Palmers book makes no mention of it. Only the Big Twin SV manifold.
    Linkert carbs and SV brass manifold 001.jpgLinkert carbs and SV brass manifold 002.jpg
    Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
    Dan #6938 FUBO

Motorhead1!

Virtually every brass WR, OHV, and Servi manifold that has crossed my benches were found on '47 machines.
    One UL manifold (such as is shown in your attachment), was off of a late '46.

Beware that they were cast from contaminated post-War ordinance scrap, and very, very prone to casting porosities.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Mr. Cotten, thank you for your response. While I have no doubt you have seen many brass manifolds on '47 machines, my 1940 UL and EL both have brass manifolds and are in original condition. If you look closely at the photos I posted you will see the casting number that makes this manifold a WR and not a UL. Again, I only wish to know the production date for this specific manifold only.
      Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Dan!

Attached is a photo of a WR brass manifold, on the lathe. Its casting number appears to be 428-402.
        (U conformity manifolds are associated with WLDs, but no WRs have reported them. I only deal with the "fossil record".)

To the best of my experience, your EL would have much shorter manifold than later, and they were never brass. (attached) This accommodated the smaller aircleaner.

Just think a minute. The world is on the verge of war. Why on earth would a strategic metal such as brass be squandered upon manifold castings, which proved to be a disaster in itself?
        The only reason the Factory would risk brass-on-brass was because there was a glut of it after the War.

Sorry to bust anybody's bubble, but anyone with a brass manifold better bubble-test it. (attached)

....Cotten
        Attached Files
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-19-2016, 11:34 AM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Mr Cotten. In my first post is also attached a photo of a WR brass manifold. It's casting number also is 428-402. I only want to know when they were made. That's all.
          Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Dan!

Your thumbnails are too tiny for me to enlarge.

Does it have a four-bolt flange?
            Are the spigots ~1.700"?

I have no evidence across my benches that brass manifolds were ever produced before the War, but much afterward.
            They would most likely have been "cad" anyway.

Nearly anything can be made serviceable,

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-19-2016, 12:36 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Four bolt flange. 2-1/8" nuts. And if they were concerned about a strategic metal such as brass being squandered, then why did they continue making carburetor castings from it?
              Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

My contention, Dan,

Based entirely upon the overwhelming majority that crosses my benches,
                is that either they didn't produce them until after the War, or they curtailed use quite quickly, re-introducing them much later.
                (Plenty of steel examples show up (attached), but they also went out on K's.)

The porosity issue speaks volumes to me. (And brass-on-brass was futile anyway.)

Your attachments give little clue as to cad finishing. What do you see?

If your '40 OHV has a long manifold, then I fear its companion is suspect as well.

Sorry, but that's the state of the art today,

...Cotten
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-19-2016, 01:34 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

I too believe that the brass intakes are of the 1947 vintage. Seen them on a lot of original paint bikes and never on a pre-war bike. While 1940 had a one year only intake I have never seen it in brass.

Jerry Wieland

Comment

Thanks Jerry. There is no doubt that brass was used around 1947 and I do not dispute that fact. I also had never seen a pre-war brass manifold and was unsure of Palmers mention of them being made early in 1940 and then replaced by cast iron because of galling and leaks. Since my E and U were ordered by my father in the fall of 1939 and were the first two 1940 motorcycles delivered to the dealer, I decided to find out with a magnet. They are both brass. I am an old man and have no reason to blow smoke up anyone's rear end. This is what I have and this is what I know. But please, does ANYONE know anything about this brass WR manifold? This is the only question I asked. Thanks again.
                    Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

The 1940 manifolds were shorter than the 1941/ When they went to the 74" in '41 they changed the manifold so the carb would be further away from the cylinder. The '40 had a different casting number than the '41. The '41 casting number is on the brass manifolds. Old H-D dealers and mechanics have all told me that the brass manifold came on 1941 models.

Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris. While I'm still confused about the brass on my two '40s, this does lend credence to the existence of pre-war brass manifolds. If I decide to have these bikes judged, then what? By the way, can you tell me anything about the brass WR manifold I have been asking about? Thanks to all.
                        Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

If it is a restored machine, Dan,

Then the cadmium would make steel and brass appear the same to the judges.

Ain't it funny Folks,
                          That there are brass WR, UL, OHV, and Servi manifolds, but no WL?
                          And they are yellow brass, not bronze?

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

I posted pics of a WL brass manifold a while back on the other site

Comment

I appreciate the photo for my collection, Duffey!

Thanks!

....Cotten
                              PS: Uh oh.
                              Palmer's first edition cites that casting for '44 to '52 models.
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-20-2016, 09:10 AM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X