Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA valve timing

Help needed.

Please indulge me as this is my first side valve, and had the engine built for me.

OK here is my issue

Front cylinder just before TDC, timing line in centre of the window, spark set to go !
    All correct so far.

The issue is that the rear cylinder at this setting has the inlet valve just opening and the exhaust valve shut, please see photo.
    surely when the wasted rear spark occurs it will ignite any fuel in the carb inlet, as the valve is slightly open.

when reversed and the timing is ready to ignite on the rear cylinder with (both valves shut), the front cylinder has the exhaust open so the wasted spark is truly wasted. no pictures

I spoke to the builder who said the engine on his bench is the same ?

not getting it !

are the rear timing gears wrong ?, or is this the design ? can not see the sense as the rear inlet valve is open prior to the downward movement of the piston therefore reducing the time fuel is sucked in.

The pictures are the front cylinder with valves closed and set to spark, and the second picture of the rear inlet valve beginning to open at this setting.

Boy I need to get this correct ! and to understand this, as I can not find any information pertaining to where the valves should actually be.

I will wait for some help before pulling the cover and checking the valve timing.

Thanks

Chris
    Attached Files

Please indulge me as this is my first side valve, and had the engine built for me.
    Number one rule...Sidevalves are the SAME as any other engine in regard to operation. Get over the "sidevalve" thing, it means nothing in terms of operation. Engines are engines and ALL operate the same way.
    What direction are you turning the engine?
    When combustion occurs (and spark is happening in a wasted spark system) the rear cylinder is on the exhaust stroke, not intake).
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      Number one rule...Sidevalves are the SAME as any other engine in regard to operation. Get over the "sidevalve" thing, it means nothing in terms of operation. Engines are engines and ALL operate the same way.
      What direction are you turning the engine?
      When combustion occurs (and spark is happening in a wasted spark system) the rear cylinder is on the exhaust stroke, not intake).
      Thanks Rubone

That's what I thought, so I assume the rear inlet cam is 180 degrees out ?
      turning the engine counter clockwise at the sprocket,

regards

Chris

Comment

Working...
      X