U UL Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U UL Head Gasket

I need to buy a set of head gaskets. What should I get? Fiber/tin or Copper or?
    Thank you,
    Kevin

Copper. Anneal it with a torch. Lightly glass bead it to clean. It will end up sealing better than any Teflon fiber gasket could. It will fill every last void. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by kjsisterson View Post
      I need to buy a set of head gaskets. What should I get? Fiber/tin or Copper or?
      Thank you,
      Kevin
      Kevin!

I have an opinion that others may argue or distain, but first please tell us if you have cast iron or aluminum heads.

....Cotten
      PS: Dressing your heads and cylinders to 'flat' should eliminate "voids", of course.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-07-2016, 06:20 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have cast iron heads.

The gasket gave out on the So Cal Road Run last weekend of course!

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Kevin!

I have an opinion that others may argue or distain, but first please tell us if you have cast iron or aluminum heads.

....Cotten
        PS: Dressing your heads and cylinders to 'flat' should eliminate "voids", of course.

Comment

Well Kevin,

One general rule of thumb is copper for cast-iron, composite for aluminum, but I preferred composite for both.

Head gaskets do not blow themselves: It takes excessive heat.
          Please first inspect your head and cylinder deck for warpage, particularly over the intake port. Then please bubble-test your manifold, and double-check your ignition timing before putting her back in service, as those are the two most common causes for a spike in temperature.

Good luck,

....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

HEllo Cotten,
            Thanks for the tip.
            I will check all those things.
            I did find a loose head bolt exactly where the gasket blew through. It was a metal gasket, that attracted a magnet with some kind of cover materiel.
            Kevin Sisterson
            President
            Perros Viejos Chapter
            AMCA
            San Diego, California

Comment

Kevin!

Even with the metal it is considered "composite" and goes back at least as far as WWII, as that is what I found in an NOS WLA kit.

Its hard to be religious about re-torques, I know.

Gotta torsion torque wrench? Adapters are easy.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

With iron heads I pull the head bolts down to 65 pounds feet on the VL. Then go over the bolts again by hand the first time the engine gets hot. Also run that 7/16" x 16 tpi tap down through the bolts holes in case the bolts are bottoming on carbon deposits, especially if the heads have been skimmed.

Comment

Working...
                X