Linkert high speed detent / friction ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert high speed detent / friction ball

Have searched to see if anyone posted solution to this specific problem. The old detent ball is corroded and blackened, making attaching anything to it impossible per the procedure advised by Cotton in other posts such as this...

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...+friction+ball

What other solution is viable? Assume if i drill out the swage, that I would just have to deal with a ball that would get shot across the room if I don't hold it in place when removing the high speed jet.

One other thought was just press in a new ball and leave the old one behind it (if it will fit). I realize this is not optimal but would it work?

Also, what size is the ball bearing for the high speed detent/friction?

Hoping Cotton will see this and weigh in....

Thanks in advance!

Steve!

I just grind a shiny spot on the ball, and then my filler rod will stick.

And if you press the ball further into its shallow bore, it is even more difficult to remove, and there will be no spring action at all.

Good luck!

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The ball looks like Mr. Deed's black frostbitten foot. I don't know that I am going to get any shiny spot on it but will try. I guess the only other option is drilling it. Assume 5/32 is the size?

Comment

Steve!

Yes, but if you attempt to drill it, you will wallow out the bore horribly.
        It can be annealed with a jeweler's torch, but by that time you should be able to stick rod to it.

I have resorted to grinding flats with a diamond bit and then rotating the ball until it would fall out, but only when a priceless patina needed to be preserved.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X