no vin # problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no vin # problem

I have a new to me 1942 WLA. The California DMV wants to rivet a aluminum plate to the frame with the engine number on it. Is this how it's done? I don't recall any vintage bikes with these plates attached, or maybe I just never noticed. Or, do you "hide" them somewhere? I have a really nice frame and hate to drill it.

You need a different office. Unless there is a problem with your VIN or your bike is built in such a manner as to not appear original then it can be titled to the engine and NO number is assigned to the frame. There are litterally tens of thousands of Vintage H-Ds in California with no frame tags. Either your local DMV doesn't have a clue or you are unable to give them correct information on your bike.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The 2 local DMV's are insisting on this, along with the CHP. I just can't see drilling a 75 year old frame to put another number on it. The same number that's on the engine. I keep giving them the information over and over. I've been to the DMV 3 times now.
      It's a 1942 WLA with an engine number and no frame number because they didn't do that until the 50's. I don't know what else to tell them.

Comment

The 1950's was cars, HD's was 1970. Do you have a title you are transferring or no title?
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
          The 1950's was cars, HD's was 1970. Do you have a title you are transferring or no title?
          No title just bill of sale.

Comment

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...o-recycle-quot
            Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
            Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Beware Folks,

Using a "title mill" in my state (Illinois), is an immediate "red flag" that will prevent it from ever being titled in my state.

Just a caution,

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

No title just bill of sale.
                What state did the bike come from?
                Some states have a procedure, usually complex, to get a title for non title vehicles.
                I don't know California procedure, they may require a frame tag.

Comment

I sent moto recycle an email. We'll see what comes back.

Comment

Come to our meeting of the Fort Sutter chapter the Sat. after this one, Feb. 6th at noon for lunch or 1 for the meeting in the back room of Sam's Hof Brau, corner Of Watt and El Camino in Sacramento. We all use the AAA title service just a block or so from the main state DMV headquarters on Broadway in Sacramento from which her office is only a block or two away. I'm housed only a block or two the opposite direction. No visit to the DMV or the CHP. We all use her service. I'll to bring one of her cards. Rich
                    DrSprocket

Comment

Sorry. it's not AAA title service. I found her card.Iit's All Vehicle Registration Services. 2400 22nd St. Suite 210, Sacramento, CA. 95818 916-739-8088 Kerrie Stouffer, Kerrie@allvehreg.com. I hope this helps. We've used her for years. You still should come to our meeting. We've all been were your at and may have some useful advice and knowledge. Rich
                      DrSprocket

Comment

I've used moto recycle several times and have always been happy with the results.
                        Nothing like the feeling of towing home a new bike.

Comment

Thanks RichO and JLB. I have a lady working on it. It sounds like the DMV didn't know what they were talking about. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
                          Thanks for the info Rich about the AMCA meeting. I'm sure I'll make a meeting "one of these days". Have family in town this weekend though.

Comment

Working...
                          X