No announcement yet.

1942 WLA bobber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"No shift linkage yet. But moving the arm on the tranny, front to back is 3,2,N,1,R."
    That would make the shift lever (pivoted in the middle) go the opposite direction. That how my WLA was, R 1 N 2 3 at the gate.

What I'm saying here is that I think the transmission he has is correct, no need to change anything.

No?

Last edited by frichie68; 01-22-2016, 12:48 PM.
    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

It is unfair to not get Palmers just because of the title, it is more than just a means of restoration. His book explains what fits what years, why, comparasion of different year components, and very detailed description of exactly what you may need in your current dilemma. My 2 cents.
      Originally posted by DCoul View Post
      Sounds like a good plan changing the drum. I'm assuming the rest of the linkage will work.
      Thanks Robbie. That, I believe is exactly what I have. A project that's missing parts here and there. Nice frame, matching numbers engine, stock carb, but some is just off. It's 1942 engine, but with cast heads, primary cover not bolted on, servi-car tranny, 47-52 tanks.
      Yeah, I like knowing how everything works. I'll be inside this engine, transmission, and everything else myself. I don't want it to be too funky though. Like a backward shift gate. I'd just swap out the tanks but they have a funkiness that I like.
      I didn't get Palmers book because I'm not really restoring this bike. I have the "Military Operations Manual. I have the Victory Library "45 Performance Book". Probably should have got the Linkert one too after reading some the 45 Performance.
      My buddies have already commented that they wouldn't have the patience for a project like this. They don't mind checking it out. Bringing it home in the P.U. and I could see people stopping and taking photos of it. It looks like a bike Marlon Brando would ride. (I think he was on a Triumph wasn't he?)
      I rebuilt a couple Triumphs back in the day, dirt bikes a lot, a few old cars, a salvage 2004 Ultra Classic. It's therapeutic working on this stuff.
      Last edited by BigLakeBob; 01-22-2016, 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Sounds like I need another book.

update: It's on the way. You guys are killin' me!
        Last edited by DCoul; 01-22-2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

It would be nice if there was a book about "what fits what" on 45" only.Palmers book is awesome but very confusing because so many models are covered.I see many 45s that are mismatched because they are assembled from swaps and the parts don't work together.Robbie is giving you the best[& cheapest]way to get past the issues with your bike.The gear swap is not for just anybody to tackle,but is the best fix.

Comment

^^Please see my edited comment #16.
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
              "No shift linkage yet. But moving the arm on the tranny, front to back is 3,2,N,1,R."
              That would make the shift lever (pivoted in the middle) go the opposite direction. That how my WLA was, R 1 N 2 3 at the gate.

What I'm saying here is that I think the transmission he has is correct, no need to change anything.

No?

That's exactly what I have now. But my tank is '47 and up. The '47 and up tank and gate is reverse from what my tranny is now.
              If the gate for my 1942 will fit the tank, I'm good to go, but I understand this doesn't and would need retrofitting somehow. Haven't tried yet because I haven't decided what way to go yet.

Comment

Different tanks (expensive).
                Somehow jury rig a shift gate to your tanks.
                Maybe a jockey shifter, no gate needed.
                Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I'm thinking jury rig that looks factory.

Comment

Originally posted by DCoul View Post
                    I'm thinking jury rig that looks factory.
                    I think 2 terms is all the president is allowed.
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                      I think 2 terms is all the president is allowed.
                      That is funny Bob
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                      X