No announcement yet.

VLD brake drum recondition techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLD brake drum recondition techniques?

My rear brake drum has seen extensive internal rust, resulting in very deep and wide rust pitting on the braking surface. The exterior is actually in great shape. As drums are a rare find, has anyone experimented with reconditioning of the friction surface? I'm feeling the two options would be a sleeve insert or welding up and remachining to original diameter.

Welding sounds very tricky due to the potential for warping or deformation, making reinstallation of the sprocket a problem, among other possible issues, such as just keeping it round.

These drums aren't thick to begin with, machining what is left to a smooth surface would thin it to a dangerous level, in my opinion. So, has anyone done anything creative to bring a rear drum back?
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    2019 KTM 300 XCW

In my last antique car newsletter there is an ad fromJ&G brake drum relining and refinishing. Their website is :www.jgrelining.com. Not sure if they work on motorcycle drums. Tom Wilcock

Comment

From their web site it doesn't look like they do but sure would be worth contacting them to see what they say. They look like it would certainly be capable of doing it and I imaging that the trick would be sizing the material and the jigs to do the work.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA#12766

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

I spoke with JG Relining and they reline steel drums as small as 8 inches, which is in the ball park for a VL rear drum. Unfortunately I can't get an exact measurement at the moment because my drum is at the painters, along with all the other black enamel bits. Poor planning on my part, but when the painter says he's ready, you'd better deliver the goods.
        1936 VLD in process
        1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
        1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
        2006 KTM 950 Adventure
        2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

The VL rear drum looks like 8" i.d. so you should be OK.

Comment

If some one does this please let us know how it turns out and how much it costs.
            Thanks,
            Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA#12766

Comment

Working...
            X