Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Battery Recomendations

Any one have a battery recomendation for my '34 VLD . Thank you , Mike

I use a B38-6A battery on both my VLs. BIG acid type 6V battery. They work pretty good! GOOGLE it for a picture.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Erdos makes and sells an exact copy of the VL battery that is a shell that you can put a sealed lead acid battery into.
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I use the B38-6A generic battery on riding bikes, as it is a 13 amp hour battery that is a reasonable fit in the VL battery box if left in its cardboard box. For judged bikes I have used the fakers with the lead terminals sticking out of the battery box. If you look at old ads for the Harley batteries you can see the terminal screws are horizontal. Those horrible, leaky, Made in India, repro batteries had the terminal holes vertical, so the contacts touched the gas tap at the front and the frame at the rear. More recently we have seen the empty VL battery cases made, with the correct terminal orientation, so you can put a smaller modern battery inside.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your responses . Mike

Comment

I do what Steve does for my VL's. B38-6A and cut the top off the box and slide it right in. I have been doing this for years with no issues. That battery is readily available and relatively inexpensive and I keep a couple on the self as spares. Also use them in my 36 Chief.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA # 12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
              I do what Steve does for my VL's. B38-6A and cut the top off the box and slide it right in. I have been doing this for years with no issues. That battery is readily available and relatively inexpensive and I keep a couple on the self as spares. Also use them in my 36 Chief.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA # 12766
              I get my B38s at InterstateBatteries

Comment

Hi,
                Just an update.I recently opened up my battery box to remove the 4-5 month old battery Interstate B38 6A for winter storage and found the battery completely cracked down both sides and the caps poped off!!! What a mess and damage from the acid.Took it to Interstate Battery where I bought it and was told WE CAN"T REPLACE THAT,WE NEVER SAW THAT HAPPEN BEFORE WTF.I've bought atleast 8 of these batteries for my VLs over the years.Interstate Batteries can afford a NASCAR team,but can't replace a 65.00 4 month old battery that exploded or something. So now I have to quickly find a replacement battery as I brought the VL to Florida to use as my daily driver.Interstate isn't an option anymore with me.

Comment

I see you are listed as living in WI and FL, is it possible that the battery was dead and it froze (if you were in WI)? I've seen dead CAR batteries freeze, swell/crack and pop the caps off before. I just love it when people you complain too always seem to say; "WE NEVER SAW THAT HAPPEN BEFORE". X^(
                  Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Sounds like it froze to me. I've seen plenty like that.If completely discharged they will freeze as easily as plain water.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yeah,I was in Wisconsin and though it was always in the garage-no heat,it could of froze.

Comment

Working...
                      X